013

Age 13:

the summer sun shone through the curtains stirring me awake from my deep sleep. our days had been filled with nothing but spending time outside on the lake and boating at the lake house in michigan.

the footsteps of multiple people running up the stairs could be heard from my room.

"i'm saying it first," a tiny voice said outside my room.

"no, i am."

"oh my god, just go into her room already," the third voice said which i recognized as quinn's infamous groan.

the door unlocked and quinn was first to enter. I sat up on the bed to see their faces. the other two brothers were behind him covering each other's mouths and arguing.

"happy birthday thea," he said smiling at me.

"quinnnn," now it was jack and luke's turn to groan.

"i said i wanted to say it first," luke argued.

"no, it was me. she's my best friend!" jack fought back.

"you snooze, you lose." quinn's victory smile was displayed on his face as came around to my bed to hug me.

"okay, your time is up bud," jack said pulling quinn off.

"happy birthday cruz-y," jack smiled, hugging me tightly.

"maybe you should follow your advice jack and move out of the way," a sore loser luke said from behind him. jack purposefully bangs his shoulder with his brother as he walks to the other side of my bed and crawls in.

"happy b-day big dog," luke wished and followed up with a hug.

"thanks, guys," i say with a wide smile on my face.

"okay now go brush your teeth you oldie. the parents are making birthday breakfast downstairs," quinn says ruffling my already crazy morning hair.

the hughes have their michigan lake house right next door, neighbouring us just like back in toronto. my parents bought it after we were invited to theirs a couple of summers ago. they thought it was a good idea and would help us stay outside and off our phones.

i scoff, "says the old man". i get up from my bed and luke doesn't waste a second to crawl in, quinn follows soon after.

"hey, i'm only three years older than you."

"yeah, and you go to sleep at nine like a fifty-year-old man."

"sleep is important to help us develop the cognitive tools in our brain," he defends as i walk away.

✭ ✭ ✭

"open mine first," jack says handing me his gift. it's in a nice gold shimmery little bag with pink tissue paper which i'm sure his mom made him do.

after our pancakes and waffles breakfast with lots of whipped cream, we all gathered in the living room, so i could open my presents.

"wait, wait, let me get my phone so i can record this," ellen stops us and rushes to the kitchen to retrieve her phone.

"you're scaring me, what's in here," i giggle.

"just wait and see," jack says ominously.

"okay, i'm ready," ellen tells as she finds her spot on the couch again.

"okay..." i say and start opening the gift bag. in it is a little is a little white box. i carefully lift off the top. my breath gets caught and i'm in awe looking at the most stunning earrings. they're gold plated with jewels hanging that look like water drops.

"thanks so much, jack," my voice filled with awe. i get up from my spot in the middle of the carpet and over to him to hug him. i hold him in a tight embrace and he returns it.

"wear them tonight please," he whispers in my ear referring to when we go out for my birthday dinner.

"he's been saving his money for them since the last time he saw them in town here," jim blows up his spot.

"dad, stop embarrassing me," he turns around to give him a look in true teenager fashion.

"okay, okay, open the rest," ellen says moving her phone back to record me as i sit down again.

✭ ✭ ✭

umich lost in the semis again 😭😭 and everyone is leaving, this makes me so sad and ethan and mark are the only ones left from my favourite class and they are graduating next year too 🥲🥲

jets also lost in the playoffs again, i was expecting them to make it farther this time since they finished fourth in the league but oh well i guess time to root for the other canadian team

ani <3