2) What's Next After Loss?

Levin's (the emperor) POV

She's gone.

I don't want to believe it. Her eyes that were so full of life are now closed. Her body is lifeless as I hold onto her.

Why did you leave me, Esme?

I wish we had more time together.

I wish I could see you smile again.

I wish...

But I know it's impossible.

My tears were falling faster now, and my sobs were louder. Nothing mattered anymore. She was my everything, and now she's gone.

I lifted my head from her shoulders, and the baby was still in her arms. It was all this things fault...

Esme was fine and healthy before her pregnancy, but after that, she slowly fell ill. We hadn't planned for a child, and it came as a surprise for both of us.

I still remember how Esme glowed happily when the royal physician told her the news. I was also happy, but now all I feel is dread and anger.

Why did my wife have to lose her life for this pathetic child? She couldn't even understand what was going on. She stared at me with wide eyes as tears rolled down her small cheeks. At least she had the decency to be quiet.

She reminded me so much of my love. It hurts. My heart is in so much pain. Esme... I couldn't bear to look at look at the child any longer.

"Fei, will you please take away this thing and make sure I never see it again?" I told Esme's personal maid.

"Forgive me, your majesty, but..."

"DO AS I SAY BEFORE I HAVE YOU HANGING FROM THE WINDOW!!"

"Y-ye-yes, your majesty," she scurried away with the thing in her arms. At least it has the dignity not to cry...

I sat there at the place where she took her last breath. Mourning bells were ringing all around the empire, alerting the public of their empress' death. Still, I held her, hoping she'd open her eyes.

My best friend. My love. My wife. My soul. My everything. All the memories of her were playing in my mind. How she'd ruffle my hair and say it was way too long. When she'd pinch my cheeks and call me the cutest man in existence.

Our long walks across the Palace grounds without anyone noticing us. She'd force me to go to sleep when I got too distracted with work. What would I do without her?

If she were here, I'm sure she'd say, 'Don't think about me right now, my love. Think about the citizens who need you. And also think of our daughter...'

Aah! Our daughter... the person who caused my wife's bad health and eventually her death. Just the thought of her made me so angry. She took away my happiness. She was in no way, my daughter.

"Your majesty, can you hear me?" Tai, my assistant, looked at me concerned. It was then that I realised how many people were in the room.

The maids and knights who were always with the imperial couple had bowed down in mourning.

"Your majesty, the high priest will be arriving soon to take the empress' body to the temple."