6) Friend or Enemy?

Unbelievable! I was having lunch with my potential causes of death.

Yaz contributed to Vienna's evilness by mistreating her and making her son the crown prince. All she wanted was complete control of the empire.

Jui was described as a distant and emotionless person. He is one year older than Vienna. He falls in love with Ayla, making him hate Vienna more.

He ends up locking up Vienna and torturing her. This gives the other leads the opportunity to kill her.

'Calm down, Vienna. You can change that.' I thought as I tried not to panic.

I looked over at Father, and he seemed to he enjoying himself. He was chatting away with Yaz, who also looked happy. Her innocent face made her undoubtable.

She was royalty from our neighbouring kingdom. She most likely had acting lessons since she could walk.

If I could stop this marriage, I would, but she was good for both the empire and for Father. I knew that running an empire by himself was taking a toll on him.

I sighed. Potato's life was sounding really good right now.

Suddenly, I felt the weight of someone's stare on me. I looked up, and my eyes met with Jui's. He was studying me with an expression that sent shivers up my spine.

He was one of my favourite characters because of his smartness and quick way of handling situations. I was so happy when he got rid of Vienna, but now...

As soon as lunch was over, Father left with Yaz to go discuss some things. Jui and I were left alone in the garden, and I had no idea what to do.

"Would you like to take a walk around the garden?" Jui asked, surprising me.

I nodded and called Arel over. I was not about to go anywhere with my torturer alone.

"Preferebly alone," Jui stated while staring at Arel.

Just my luck...

Arel looked at me, unsure of what to do. I nodded and walked away with Jui. The sooner we get this over with, the sooner my body can be laid to rest.

'I want all my wealth and belongings to be given to...' I mentally started writing my will.

I sighed and thought of the best way to solve this. Jui wasn't one for small talk, so I decided to get straight to the point.

"We both know our parents are getting married." I said when we were far away enough from people.

"Meaning we are going to be siblings," Jui completed.

"Exactly. And if you don't cause trouble for me, I won't cause any trouble for you,"

"Are you trying to threaten me, Your Highness?" Jui asked with a smirk.

Wow! This is why he was my favourite.

"Not a threat. A warning. I am the crown princess of this empire, and I will not let anyone bring me down." I stated.

Jui thought for a moment before he held out his hand.

"You are smart, your highness. May the best person win."

"Trust me, I will. And please call me Vienna." I said as I shook his hand.

"Come, Vienna, we have a walk to complete. You and I are going to be good friends."

I wonder what he meant by that. But for now, my life is safe. At least, I hope.

I knew Jui, and I saw his expression change slightly when I challenged him. He was impressed and also a bit happy. I'm guessing he expected me to be foolish.