Chapter 15

Alyssa

Caleb and I sit on fancy velvet seats in a crowded theatre, the curtains are draped but any second now Tess will be the star of the show, gracefully twirling and dancing to the beautiful tune playing.

I've never seen Tess so nervous before a show before, instead of buzzing with energy she sat on her bed composing herself for an hour. I guess it would have to be expected though, it's her first performance here and the most important, it's different from when she did it in high school.

"Do you know when she's coming out?" Caleb asks while shoving buttery popcorn down his throat.

"The performance hasn't even started dude," I say stealing a kernel, "and no- I do not, should be any minute now."

He sighs, "I'm so pissed she's leaving us tomorrow, gonna miss her."

I chuckle rolling my eyes, "no need to be so sappy Caleb, it's only a month she'll be back before you know it."

"Still.." 

The curtains open and a singular figure is shown on stage, her auburn hair tide in a tight bun, makeup flawless after weeks of practice, and a fully white leotard and puffy skirt with a crown on top of her head which adds the perfect touch.

Her arms sway side to side, her legs make precise movements as she twirls and leaps gracefully through the air. The white layers slowly tear away and the stage slowly darkness as the performance progresses, her movements become sharper and faster and her dress is now black, her crown shattered on the stage.

I've always thought Tess looked beautiful on stage, but today she looks majestic, unworldly almost. I spot Camilla looking at Tess in a haze, I may not like her but I can't unnoticed that. Caleb's mouth has practically broken off it's hinges and he's completely abandoned his popcorn.

"Told ya she was good." I whisper into his ear, my eyes still not leaving Tess and the floating ballerinas behind her.

"Yeah, and you really didn't exaggerate-" He says just as Tess falls to the ground, her arms spread apart and eyes closed. The ballerina's behind her are now on the ground as well, all there perfect crowns having disappeared into shatters.

The crowd erupts into applause, whooping and cheering almost makes my eardrums burst until I join with them.

"Woo!" Caleb and I shout from cupped hands.

Tess stands up with a wide smile and joins everyone else as they hold hands and bow, the cheering doesn't stop when they leave the stage.

We greet her backstage with a bouquet of pink tulips, her favorite. She rushes over to us with open arms and wraps us into one huge group hug, "ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod!" the words spew out of her mouth like word vomit. "I think I did good, did I? Oh wait don't tell me, I don't want to know."

I chuckle into her shoulder, "no Tess, you were fucking incredible," I look directly into her eyes, "trust me, everyone was amazed."

"Especially me," Caleb says smiling greedily.

"Aw, you guys are too nice." She sniffs the bouquet and reads the label attached, 'your going to dance the competition away!' She pulls a face of disgust but behind it all I see is pure happiness, "I take it back, your just weird," we laugh.

"Nah, you love us," Caleb tucks his hands in his pant pockets and tilts his head to the side, "I think someone wants to see you." His head points towards Camilla standing a couple feet away, her brown skin radiant and many tiny braids tied into two side plats. She waves at us, her Louis Vuitton bag slipping down her arm in the process.