Chapter 5. Suspicions with intuition

✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦 ✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦 ✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦

The past days before Saturday were a blur. Just boring. Now I was sitting at home, reading on my phone with an alarm that was set to go off at exactly 5 PM.

I looked at myself in the camera app and sighed. Maybe if I put my hair in a bun with my bangs out it would look decent?

Wait.

Why do I even care if I look decent in front of Jayre? Then again... who's gonna love me if I don't put enough effort to actually look capable of myself.

It was confusing, I thought to myself as I threw my hair in a 'messy bun' bun with my bangs out and adjusted my top; a pink spaghetti strap which I usually wear to bed.

30 minutes pass by before the alarm rings, when I turn it off my doorbell then rings and I groan. Always on time, Jayre.

I walk downstairs and when I finally reach the door, DJ is already standing in front of Jayre. I look at my cousin, searching for any hostility before stepping up.

"Johnson? Come in." I say and DJ looks at me confused.

"Hold up Lee, tell me who this is first." he huffs and I sigh. DJ wasn't very welcoming to random guys just coming to the house. Especially if it was to see me.

"Some guy from my school..." I mumble, "He's here for a tutoring lesson." I explain, looking at Jayre.

He puts his hand on his chest as his expression turns mocking, "Just some guy Cover? I feel hurt." he sneers and I feel DJ shift beside me.

"Tutoring? Seriously?" DJ scoffs and he shakes his head. "Leave the door open, Lee." And with that, he heads over to the couch, to watch some basketball highlights or whatever. Just as we pass the couch to get to the staircase, Jayre stops short and watches the TV,

'Did I forget to mention Jayre was also some star basketball player in school too? Yeah, but besides that, I do really believe he's not all that.' I think to myself as Jayre whoops when one team scores and DJ turns around, "You watch basketball too man?" he asks and Jayre grins.

"I play basketball in school too, just wish Cover could actually watch sometime." he responds cheekily and I roll my eyes.

"Basketball is boring." I deadpan and DJ smiles.

"I'll make sure she goes to at least one of them man." he chuckled and I mentally slap myself. I turn to Jayre and nod towards the staircase before bounding up the stairs leaving Jayre to follow me.

Once we enter the room, I of course make sure Jayre leaves the door open before we settle down.

"So, Science?" I ask and Jayre nods, pulling out his notebook and pen from his random pocket?

Boys...

I get up to go to my desk and get my notebook, but just then I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror and decide to freshen up a bit, y'know? My eyes catch Jayre's in the mirror and he turns away quickly, but not without me noticing the tip of his ears turning pink. I grab my notebook and sit back down on my ruffled carpet, facing Jayre.

"What parts of the test did you get wrong?" I ask, looking up at him from my notebook, which of course contained notes.

"The problems with equations or something." he answers, chewing on his pen.

Heck.

I sucked at explaining equations or whatever to people, I always got irritated if they couldn't pick it up and asked me a million questions.

"Um... right, okay." I sigh.

After a few minutes of explaining, we actually did try some equations and we were doing pretty good until, "You solved that wrong." Jayre says and I raise my eyebrow and suck in a sharp breath.

"What do you mean?" I pull my scientific calculator closer to me and start pressing buttons and--

"What... how?" I ask, in shock. Was this his plan? Oh who am I kidding, he does this every time.

"Maybe if you would care less about your looks in the mirror and focus more on your solving than maybe you could get better." he laughs and I'm taken aback.

"I'm sorry," I start, "but I wasn't the one who failed big time and got a 94." I scoff, folding my arms across my chest.

For a second he looks taken aback before his eyes flicker down, then up. What the hell?

"Oh please- you probably just lucky guessed and that's how you got a hundred. But whatever Cover, I think I should get going now anyway." he gets up and I do the same. Even if I hate him, I still need to have the manners and escort him out of the household.

We tread downstairs and just as we round the corner to get to the door, my mom comes bustling at us and smiles, "Oh! So this was the schoolmate you said would come, are they leaving already?" she asks, "Without dinner?"

Please no!

"Uhm, mom- Johnson has other places to be right now." I butt in quickly.

"Oh how rude of you Lee! He must stay for dinner, I've made a specialty!" she gushes and before I can speak Jayre beats me to it.

"I don't mind staying for dinner." he smiles.

NO!

✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦 ✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦 ✎ᝰ. 𓍢ִ໋🀦