7: The Noble Hostage: A Syntax Sorcerer's Intervention

The child's shrill screams tore through the air, echoing through the forest. "Help! Somebody help me!" he cried out, his voice laced with desperation and fear.

"He's screaming, 'Help!'" John thought to himself, "Do something, quick! But what? I need to get closer so I can hear what's being said!"

John stealthily snuck up on the goblins, keeping himself hidden in the undergrowth. As he drew near, he overheard the goblins' conversation.

"Please let me go! I didn't do anything wrong!" the child begged.

"Too bad for you, kid," one of the goblins sneered. "We're going to have some fun with you, and then we'll send your soul to the Netherworld!"

The goblins laughed wickedly as the child sobbed and struggled in vain against his bonds.

John's heart sank at the sight of the helpless boy and the thought of what terrible horrors these monsters had in store for him.

A surge of anger rushed through John's veins, and he clenched his fists in fury. "These goblins are brutal, disgusting savages," he thought. He could not stand by and allow them to hurt an innocent child.

Without hesitation, John leaped out of the bushes and rushed towards the goblins, his feet pounding on the ground. "Leave him alone!" he shouted as he lunged at the nearest goblin and punched him in the jaw.

The goblin grunted and stumbled back, clutching his injured jaw. His eyes blazed with fury as he regained his footing and pulled out a knife. He lunged towards John, brandishing the blade and roaring with rage.

With a thought, John visualised the following code:

world.modify({ target: "blades", newForm: "rusty nails on the ground"});

As the code executed, John witnessed the motes of atmospheric energy attaching to the enemy blade, causing the goblin's weapon to transform in an instant. The blade melted away, revealing a dozen rusty nails that clattered to the ground, harmless and useless.

The goblin stared at his empty hand in shock, his mouth opening and closing like a fish out of water. He looked up at John, his eyes wide with disbelief and fear. "Impossible," he stammered. "How did you..."

John smiled grimly, his hands balled into tight fists. "You have no idea what I'm capable of," he growled, his eyes blazing with fury. "Now leave the child alone."

John flustered in his mind that he actually pulled off that sentence, and he is trembling. His heart raced as the adrenaline coursed through his veins, the weight of his words settling heavily upon him. He could scarcely believe the audacity of his own statement, the sheer brazenness of challenging someone so directly. Beneath the surface, John's nerves were frayed, his body quivering with a mixture of fear and exhilaration. He had taken a stand, put himself on the line for the sake of the child, but now the uncertainty of the consequences loomed large in his mind. Would his opponent back down, or would this confrontation escalate into something far more dangerous? What if he didn't have time to mentally write and execute another piece of code? As the tense seconds ticked by, John struggled to maintain his composure, his breath coming in shallow gasps as he waited anxiously for the other person's response, silently praying that his gamble would pay off.

The goblins hesitated, their eyes darting nervously from side to side as they weighed their options. Finally, the one who had wielded the knife stepped forward, his face contorted with anger and resentment. "Fine," he spat, "we'll be back, and next time, we won't be so merciful."

John watched as the goblins slunk away, disappearing into the shadows of the forest. When he was certain they were gone, he rushed over to the tree and began untying the boy's ropes. "Are you okay?" he asked anxiously, his heart hammering in his chest. "Did they hurt you?"

The boy shook his head, tears streaming down his pale cheeks. "No, not yet," he said, his voice trembling slightly.

He took a shaky breath, his eyes still glistening with tears. "I was traveling with my family's caravan when we were attacked by bandits," he began, his voice quivering. "They killed our guards and took me hostage, hoping to extort a ransom from my wealthy parents."

He paused, swallowing hard as he relived the horrifying memories. "But then, as they were dragging me through the forest, we were ambushed by those goblins. They slaughtered the bandits without mercy, their screams still echoing in my ears."

The boy shuddered, his small frame trembling. "I thought I was doomed, that the goblins would surely kill me too. But instead, they tied me to this tree, taunting me and promising a slow, painful death."

He looked up at John, his eyes filled with a mixture of gratitude and exhaustion. "If you hadn't come along when you did, I don't know what would have happened to me. I owe you my life."

As he finished his story, John nodded sympathetically, his heart aching at the thought of what the poor boy had been through. "Well, I'm glad they didn't get a chance to hurt you," he said gently, "and I'm sorry I couldn't protect you from them sooner."

The boy wiped the tears from his eyes and shook his head. "Don't apologize, you saved my life," he replied, his voice wavering slightly. "Thank you for standing up to them. Not many people would have the courage to do what you did."

John nodded, a faint blush coloring his cheeks. "You're welcome," he said softly, "but I'm not sure I did all that much, honestly."

Reach out to me / comment on my story if you have an awesome idea! - D