The Change

Whatever we have, if there’s really something, it’s over now.

“Hey guys, meet our new friend, Arche,” Jet said.

Two kids, both 7 years old, rushed to meet Jet. One of them had blonde hair and ocean-blue eyes. He was a fine young lad, and when he smiled, I could see that his front tooth was missing. The other one had brown hair, and his shy dark green eyes hid behind a pair of dirty eyeglasses.

 Jet brought me to what seemed to be their playground. It was at the outskirts of town, where green grass and colorful flowers of different kinds grew freely everywhere. The area was circular, with trees surrounding the whole perimeter. There was a pair of swings on my far left and a slide to to my right. It was a clear crisp day, with the sun shining bright and the wind blowing gently.The birds was flying out into the sky, singing their songs, filling the place with music.

“Oh, a girl!” exclaimed the blonde boy. “Hello Arche. My name is Aidan. Nice to meecha!”

“Hi Aidan,” I replied, blushing.

“I don’t want to play doll, Jet,” said the brown-haired boy.

“Don’t fret, Seth! Arche will play General with us!” Jet grinned.

“General again? Can I be general this time?” asked Aidan.

“No, Aid. You don’t know how to play the role.”

“How can you know? You’re always general!”

“Because I play the role better.”

“You should let me be general, Jet.”

“Maybe we should let new girl Arche play general this time,” the boy called Seth suggested but he spoke so faintly that Jet and Aidan didn’t hear him.

“—You don’t know how to give orders!” Jet quarreled.

“You’re wrong! I do know!” Aidan fought back.

“You can’t handle the responsibilities of being general!”

“You can’t prove that!”

“Hey guys, maybe we should just let Arche be general this time,” Seth tried to speak up again but his voice was barely a whisper. Jet and Aidan still didn’t hear him.

On and on they went like that. Three boys. So young, so carefree. I couldn’t help but smile at them.

“You look better when you smile,” Seth approached me, smiling now, showing crooked teeth.

“Thanks,” I replied shyly.

“Why won’t they listen to me?” Seth frowned, “They wouldn’t be fighting if they just let  you be general.”

Jet. Aidan. Seth. What happened?

My head hurts, so is my entire body. What happened? I remember the sharp claw, ready to strike, and I remember the pain too. So I was hit. Am I dead then? If so, why am I still in pain? No, I’m not dead. Of course, I’m not. I’m not dead… right?

Right?

“Arche?”

Is that a voice of an angel? It sure sounds like Seth. Maybe Seth is really an angel. My guardian angel. Now that I think of it—

“Arche? Hey.”

It isn’t the sound of an angel. It is Seth’s voice! I strain to open my eyes, but when I do, a very bright light blinds them, causing me to close them again.