The Decision

I have decided.

Believe me, it isn't easy. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Since my confrontation with Fayne, I have been thinking whether I should follow my heart and go join the mission or follow the orders of the Guild that have been keeping me alive for years.

The Guild that have betrayed my trust. 

Sometimes I wonder, do the Guild even deserve my loyalty after taking my friends away from me?

Maybe they don't. And maybe Fayne is right. Maybe it's time I should make a decision for myself.

Too many maybe's. 

In the end, it is my heart that wins. It's always the heart that wins, I guess. People will often listen to their feelings rather than what should be done. So, here I am in this stinky place, on the day the chosen people leaves for the mission. It is near dawn, and they should be going out any minute now. 

A horse neighs nearby, and I am once again reminded that I am in the stables with the horrible smell of hay and horse waste. Gah, my nose will probably stop working any second now. And the food I just ate this breakfast might go out in the form of puke. 

The wooden door that leads inside the stables opens and Jet, Seth, and Aidan walk inside and to five different horses. They pat their heads and rub their backs, and after a little while, they grab the horses' reins and lead them outside. 

I've been hiding behind a stack of hay at the far corner of the stables, and fortunately, the three of them are too busy minding the horses to notice me. 

A few moments after they step out of the stables, I follow them, treading carefully as to not step on anything that might produce a sound. I slightly open the wooden door and poked my head outside. Ah, the smell of fresh air! 

"Let's hurry up!" Jet yells, his voice distant. They're already far up ahead, nearly reaching the marshes that surrounded the whole Guild. Most of their things are on the horses' back, and the women too. 

I trail after them, hiding whenever I see cover--rocks, stray trees, holes in the ground--until we finally reach the marsh. It's easier to be unseen here, and I exhaled a sigh of relief. 

I mustn't be seen until we're a lot farther from the Guild. That way, they cannot send be back because it will be too dangerous. Simple plan yet perfect. Or so I hope.

Farther and father they go away from the Guild, nearing the end of the marshes, and so do I. As silently as I can. I can already feel the excitement coursing through my veins. Just a few more meters ahead, and I can finally step outside the marshes. Finally! 

I can't wait to find out what kind of world awaits me beyond the marshes. 

Upon reaching the edge of the marshes, I make a dramatic step out of it, and it just feels so good! I grin to myself then hide behind a tree nearby. Jet and the others are only a few meters ahead, oblivious of my presence. 

Good. Very good. 

For the rest of the day, I do exactly what I have been doing since I got out of that horse stables. I have been successful so far; nobody has felt my presence yet though there are times when Fayne looks back as if hoping there's someone behind them. 

Fayne, you're right. And I'm just too proud to accept that. 

If I haven't listened to her, I wouldn't be seeing these things that I have seen today. There's really nothing much but wilderness beyond the marshes. Just dry, solid ground with a number of massive rocks impaled to the ground. A few stray grass grows here and there, but there were no flowers.