The Order

"What do we know of these so-called Nymphs?"

Nothing.

"We know that they are savages. They are put into this world only to kill and destroy, we know that. You might want to ask why but in our case, the why is not anymore important. The only thing that really matters is how to kill those beasts."

Why did those beasts suddenly unleash their wrath upon the human race? What is their purpose? What is their motive? Where did they come from? What is their nature? 

Why did that Nymph in the torture room transform into a disgustingly beautiful creature?

"We know that beyond the marsh there are probably millions of those Nymphs, ready to kill anyone they see."

Why is it that the Guild still stands? Why is it that it wasn't put down by --

"Hey, Arche. Stop thinking too much. You'll drain yourself," says a very familiar voice, snapping me out of my deep reverie.  

"You're late again, Victor," I tell him even though it is the most obvious thing. He just smiles and sits on the empty desk beside me. 

"I still don't understand why we're still having these stupid classes even after the attack," Victor whispers his complains. "We should be training! You know, getting ready if ever those beasts does something big like that again."

I just can't agree more.

It has been a week since the big attack of the Nymphs. The past week was near hell to most of us. A lot of people died and got wounded, and it took a lot of effort to extinguish the air of fear and panic to the people of the Guild. Victor was very much wounded and nothing could ever compare to relief I felt when I heard that he was going to live. Still, everytime I remember his bloody body as he reported back to the center... It was very disheartening. The squads who weren't assigned to the east fought against almost the same number as us, but they encountered no Queen or big Nymph whatsoever. And good for them, the reinforcements were just in time, so they say. 

Fayne lives, by the way. Enough said. 

"The Guild has its reasons," I answer him. "And why are you here? Should you be resting?" 

"Sir Dan's class is like rest."

"You are one heck of a--" 

"Miss Arche!" Sir Dan refrains from his lecture and yells with irritation. "Just because you aced almost every class you have does not give you the right to talk in the middle of my lecture." 

"My apologies, Sir," I say with my head bowed down and my cheeks probably turning red of shame. Victor, who is such a very good friend by the way, gives out a stifled laugh. 

"You too, Victor!"

That stops him, and it takes every ounce of my strength to prevent myself from giggling. 

"I can't believe how big your heads have become, you two. You think you are above all the rest including your teachers? Who do you think become the instruments for you to become whoever you are today? Can't you give credit to your teacher for their job? Gah, kids these days!" 

We are not kids. We're adults; perhaps our fifty-year-old teacher haven't realized that yet. Or maybe he treats everyone younger than him as kids. 

"Now that you think that you are so smart that don't need my lectures, tell me--What happens when you are bitten by a Nymph?" 

Seriously? That's the best he can do? 

"I don't know, Sir." 

I actually do know; I just don't want to embarrass him. That's what good students do, right?