The Center

"I don't know what to say," I muttered, losing my ability to formulate words. 

"You can say you love me," he answered with a smile, "and I'll say I love you too."

I follow Jet out of the torture room, back in the hallways of the 47th floor. Here, red lights rotate  around in the walls and ceilings while the alarms blare. A number of people have already woken up, and are running to and fro the elevators.

"You better get dressed first," Jet orders.

I remember I'm still on my pajamas--a fairly large shirt and a pair of thin pants. 

"Then go directly to the armory," he continues. 

I nod. Then he left, using the leftmost elevator to go down.  

The armory is the whole second floor of the Guild, so it's a very large room. All kinds of weapons--guns, swords, dagger, grenades-are stored in there, as well as bullets and body armors. Others call it the Center because that is where most strategic meetings are held. 

I rush to my room and get dressed as fast as I can. I put on a gray sleeveless top, a pair of black slightly-loose shorts, and a pair of dark brown leather boots. I wrap both my hands with bandage before putting on my gray gloves. Feeling a slight headache, I wash my face with water in the bathroom before going out and taking the same elevator Jet took to go down to the Center. 

The elevator ride is brief. Since, the elevator is already full with people who are going to battle, it goes down directly without stopping by every floor. Imagine if it would. Others would just have to resort to the stairs.

The elevator makes a loud "ding" as it opens at the second floor, revealing the a hundred or so soldiers doing whatever it is they need to do before getting into battle. Most of them are busy equipping themselves with armors and weapons they might need in the field, others are chatting--like there's nothing wrong with everything.

I don't blame them. The attacks are so frequent, it's part of everybody's lifestyle already. Most of these attacks aren't really threatening. Just a few--probably stray--Nymphs here and there. Nothing serious. 

As soon as I got out from the elevator, I rush directly to the gun stations which is located to the far right of the elevator. I take my every loyal revolver, put some bullets into it, and thrust it into a holster together with some extra ammunition. I wrap the holster around my waist, and tightens it so it won't fall. I am about to proceed to the armors station when I see Jet, together with Seth and Aidan, postion himself on the center of the room. 

"All right, listen up!" he shouts loud enough for everybody to hear, "Our scout said he spotted movement two or more miles away east from the marshes. Given their speed it wouldn't take much time for them to reach us. Move fast. We're going out in ten seconds.

"Arche," he looks at me apathetically, "lead your squad to the east." 

I nod in response. As indifferent as I can. 

"Fayne, you and your squad guard the south of the Guild," Jet continues, "Victor, to the west, and Derik, to the north. The Thirteen will assist in the east. Move."

I manage to hear Fayne say "Are you kidding me Jet? Why are sending me to the south? I should be in the real battle! You should put me in Arche's position since I'm way--" before something hard bumps my shoulder. 

"Ow!" 

"Stop eavesdropping, silly!" a tall guy with greenish-brown eyes and messy brown hair smiles a crooked smile at me. Victor.

"I'm not eavesdropping!" I lie. I look at Fayne and Jet, who were standing yards away from us. Fayne looks really irritated and frustrated as she makes gestures that always points back at her. Jet seems annoyed. In the end, Jet says something to Fayne that makes her stop and leave him alone.

"I'd be a fool if I were to believe that," Victor teases, following my gaze.

I stick my tongue out at him, then grin. 

Victor is the youngest member of the Thirteen. He's just about my age. The rest of the members of the Thirteen are already graduates of the Guild's Sentinel. Victor's so good he's the only exception.

The Guild offers academic education for its children until they are 17 years of age. After that, they are subject to the Guild's training course we call Sentinel. The Sentinel normally lasts for four years. When you pass everything, you can be a Sentinel graduate at the age of 21.

I and Victor are on our last year at the Sentinel.

Just a few more months and we'll be considered actual soldiers. I can go on raids by then. Experience the world beyond the marshes again. 

"Wait..." I realize something.

"What is it?"

"Why aren't you going with the Thirteen, Victor?"

"Well, Jet says I need to lead my own squad for now. You know, training," he explains, "However it doesn't really makes much sense because the west is probably empty. What can I say? General's orders." 

"Oh..." 

"I'd better get going. I still have to brief my squad."

"Yes, sure. I still haven't talked to mine yet." 

Victor and I say our goodbyes to each other. He left off with the statement, "Don't forget to wear your armor!" The armor! Totally forgot about that one. 

After securing my armor, I set off to meet my squad. They are gathered near the swords and daggers station, discussing. 

"Hey, guys," I greet them and they go silent before shifting their eyes on me.

My squad normally consists of ten people and me. However today, twelve pairs of eyes are staring back at me. Martha and Poles from the canteen, Bue, Calden, Grynn, Gwen... The other's names i have forgotten, but I their faces are familiar, except for the additional two. 

"What are your names?" I ask the newcomers.

"My name is Fyn, and this is Pela," the boy answers for the both of them. 

The boy may be about 17 or 18 years old; the girl's probably of the same age. Trainees. Their eyes portray fear and nervousness. Their first time, I guess.

"Okay. Nothing new here, guys. Kill as many as you can and stay alive. Keep your earpiece on, and be alert to my orders," I look at Fyn and... Pela, right? "You two have nothing to worry about. We can handle this."

Just after I finished my speech, Jet calls the attention of everyone. 

"We're going out now!" he yells.

I put on my earpiece then lead my squad down the stairs. The first floor is practically empty except for the planes and the cars parked there. To date, we have five planes and at least a hundred of cars. Where we got them?

Apparently, the Guild was originally build as a military base slash research facility that focused on the development of a strange violet rock a person named Henry Guilderoye discovered one day while climbing a rock hill. Eventually, with Guilderoye leading them, the scientists found out that the violet rock could be used as a source of electric power. Since it was a top secret research facility, the government of Alessandra, the world's superpower city back then, provided top military protection. 

That's where we get most of our planes and cars. The others are from raids. They bring back damaged cars, some super techie guy repairs it. We also keep horses in the stables, which is outside the Guild. We don't have the luxury of an unlimited supply of oil. 

My squad and I pass through the cars and planes, and finally got out of the Guild. 

The moon is full tonight, but there are no stars. The chill of the air and the deafening silence cause slight shivers to my body. It is a bit overcast but we are trained to see even in the dark.

 From the distance, I behold the marshes.  

"Move fast. We don't have much time," I hear Jet's voice through my earpiece. 

"You heard him, guys. Let's go!" I tell my squad and together, we run to the marshes. 

KIND OF SHORT, I KNOW :/ I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU GUYS IN THE NEXT CHAPTER :) PLEASE COMMENT! IF YOU LIKE IT THEN VOTE! :D tell me what yoou think please :)