The Mystery

The "food" was obviously poisonous. It seemed to look like a mixture of ground leaves and mashed potatoes, and was cooked in a way that the finished product gave the color... green. On its top were sprinkles of black pepper and a single basil leaf. Even its smell was horrible--like sour milk. 

"Are you sure it's even edible?" Jet asked doubtfully, his nose crinkling. 

"Would I even dare feed you poisonous food?" Aidan replied. 

"Well, you're just about to," I mumbled to myself. 

"What's that, Arche?" Aidan queried. 

"N-nothing!" Crap, I've voiced out my thoughts once again. 

"Come on. What are you waiting for? Grab a bite! I promise it's delicious!" 

Believe me, I was pretty sure it was nowhere near delicious. I look at Jet and Seth, who were unmistakably hesitating. Aidan had come to our houses a while ago, telling us to meet him at our spot, the playground in our town's outskirts, and he looked very excited. Then we, having no idea he was planning to poison us by forcing us to eat some green thing, obediently went to the spot. But when he showed us the horrible thing, I was pretty sure the three of us regretted bothering. 

"Where did that come from anyway?" Jet asked. 

"Where else?" Aidan seemed surprised at the question. "Of course, I cooked it!" 

Oh, so that explains it. 

"Then you have tasted it?" Seth spoke for the first time since coming here. 

"I was about to taste it but then I remembered you guys, and because you're so special to me, I want you have to first taste of my very first cooking attempt!" Aidan grinned. 

Aidan could get very naive, sometimes. "Like guinea pigs," I said. 

"Nonsense!" Aidan exclaimed. "Guinea pigs get killed. You, on the other, are about to taste a chef's masterpiece!" 

I gazed at Aidan's face, looking for any trace that he's just joking, like he usually did, but I didn't find any. He was serious--really serious. 

"Just let us do anything else, Aid. Just not this," Jet bargained. 

"Please?" Aid begged while trying hard to look like a poor puppy, but failed anyway.

"No," Jet said firmly. Thank you Jet!

"But it's my fourteenth birthday!" 

"Your birthday isn't until next month, Aid." 

"But still! Consider this as a way-advanced-gift." 

Aidan was whining then, and Jet was resolute in declining. In the end, we didn't get a taste of Aidan's "masterpiece". Somehow, Jet managed to convince him to let the a cat taste it instead. But when Aidan was out of earshot, Jet told us to organize a surprise birthday party for Aidan to make up for what we did. 

At the end of the day, the Inseparable Four went home with smiles in their faces, and everybody was happy... well, except for the cat.

 "It was the weirdest feeling, really," says Aidan.

It sure is. Just seeing Aidan just the way he is before--sweet, kind, witty--it just... It really takes all those bad feelings away. I'm not dreaming, am I? Please, I hope I'm not. 

"It's like I've been dreaming for the past four years," he continues as he sits on my bed.

After making sure Aidan was already okay, Seth, Aidan and I decided to talk about what happened. And when Aidan said he wanted to talk somewhere private, my room was automatically nominated and awarded.