Chapter 3

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 3

September 15, 2011

Hope was sitting at her desk staring intently at the clock while  Mr. Knight continued his lecture on Greek Mythology yet again.  She could hear his voice as he spoke but she really wasn’t listening to a word he was saying.  Instead, Hope was counting down the seconds to the end of class which also meant the end of the school week and more than that was the fact ther her awesome birthday party was less than twenty four hours away.

At the sound of the last bell Hope was so excited that she literally jumped out her chair and almost instantly  took an embarrassing face plant because she hadn’t looked down to see her bag sitting in the way.

Just as Hope braced herself for the hard impact she felt a firm set of arms wrap around her waist at the last minute saving her.  Exhilarating warmth spread across her skin from every point of skin to skin contact causing the mark on the back of her neck to slightly tingle instead of burn as it had been doing all day long.  

The added warmth to her skin combined with the new tingling sensation at the back of her neck caught her slightly off guard.  Hope would have stumbled again if it hadn’t been for the strength of the hands that were now gripping her shoulders tightly.  Hope struggled to right herself and gave a nervous laugh as she turned around to face her savior.

“Liam?” she whispered, not quite believing that it was actually him that stopped her fall.  Of all the people in the classroom, he was the probably the last one that she would have expected to help her out.  And by the dark brooding look in his eyes, it looked as thoroughly regretted it.

“I’m sorry” she said when he suddenly released her shoulders.  He acted as if she had burned him and that made her feel even more uncomfortable.  Hope bumbled around only wanting to get out of the stuffy class room when she finally bent down to pick her bag up off the floor.  Standing up she told him “thank you” and for a moment it was really awkward between the two of them while he just stared back at her with those piercing dark eyes of his.

Liam narrowed his eyes on the pretty girl that everyone loved.  She was the beloved schools’ sweetheart, the cheerleading captain and probably soon to be the homecoming queen.  But she was also something else.  He felt the undeniable surge of warmth that came only when two lyrics touched.  His mark prickled as their bodies made contact also affirming that she was in fact a lyric.  

The question Liam really wanted to know was if  little Miss Disney Princess was aware that  she was a lyric?  He highly doubted it because if she had known then she definitely wouldn’t be the outgoing pixie that she was.  If Hope Masters knew the repercussions of anyone finding out that she bore the lyric mark and would soon encompass powers stronger than any human being could imagine, then she definitely would have kept more of a low profile.

Her powers must be getting ready to awaken soon Liam mused as he looked her over from head to toe.  It had been all over the school for the last month about her eighteenth birthday bash tomorrow.  You were either buried in a deep dark hole or just plain out ignorant to not know about what everyone at Eastern Guilford High School considered to be the ultimate party of the year.

Miss Disney Princess was in for one hell of a rude awakening, Liam thought to himself as he continued to stare back at Hope.  When his powers awoke just a little over two months ago he thought that he was going to die, literally.  The burning, the headaches and then the temporary loss of vision, all side effects of the lyrics powers awakening.  But the things that he was able to do after that night of pure hell was simply out of this world.