Chapter 8

“Set Fire to the Rain”

2011 © All Rights Reserved

Chapter 8

Hope opened her eyes to a room shrouded in complete darkness.  She had no idea how long she had slept or even what time it was.  Pushing up on her elbows she had to squint in an effort to try and focus her eyes on the red digits glowing on her alarm clock.  Five thirty she read and groaned before falling back  on her bed in a crumpled heap.

She had slept almost fourteen hours.  The last thing that she remembered was Joey tucking her in and kissing her good night.  She blushed redder than her grandmothers home grown tomatoes at the memory.  The kiss started out so sweet and innocent but quickly turned into one of those heated hot and wet slobbery ones that seemed to last an eternity.  All to soon Joey had pulled away from her though, taking short calculated breaths.  He told her she needed to get some rest and that he would see her later.  

Touching her lips tentatively Hope couldn’t help but smile.  Joey had made her feel like a normal person again.  With that kiss he easily wiped out all of the bad memories from the last twenty four hours and made her feel like the Hope Masters that she was familiar with, not some freakish Lyric as Liam had so casually informed her that she was.  

Stepping out of the bed Hope stretched her arms high above her head and let out a very un-lady like yawn.  She was wide awake now and  figured she might as well get a head start on the day.  There was that English paper on “Romeo and Juliette” due tomorrow and with all the quiet in the house, Hope had surmised  that she might as well take advantage of it and do something useful.  Even an English paper sounded appealing right now as long as it kept her mind off of all the things that Liam had told her.  Those were memories that she just wanted desperately to forget.

Wrapping her robe around her and tying it closed Hope was still very aware that she was going to have to come up with some type of excuse for Liam’s behavior at her party and her mysterious overnight disappearance.  She thought about copping it all up to the full moon.  Full moons make people crazy but quickly decided that idea wouldn’t fly.  Not with Joey, he was much too perceptive and definitely no ones fool. He would want answers; real ones that made actual sense.  

Stepping out into the shadows of the hall Hope snorted at that thought, even the Gods to honest truth didn’t make any sense to her and she was the one that experienced it.  The idea of her being a Lyric and having powers that she had yet to understand was not only highly unbelievable but improbable as well.  If she told Joey the truth he would likely insist that she take a visit to the nearest psychiatry office.

Hope padded down the steps as quietly as possible intent on getting something to eat before she sat down at her computer and got to work.  She was hard pressed to remember the last time that had eaten a decent meal and her stomach had been protesting that fact rather loudly several times already since she had first awakened.

Making her way into the kitchen Hope flipped on the fluorescent light that hung over the sink.  It gave off a soft glow but was sufficient enough for her to see while she raided the refrigerator for any left over party food.

When Hope opened the fridge a sudden pang struck her.  She missed her own eighteenth birthday party.  It was supposed to be the party of her life, her special day and instead it was the worst day of her life.  A day that she wished had never happened.  A day that had ultimately changed her life forever.

“Good morning” a familiar deep voice said from behind her as warm capable arms encircled her waist.

A smile graced Hope’s lips as she covered Joey’s hands with her own.  “Good morning” she replied lightly.  “I didn’t know that you were still here” she added turning around in his arms so that she could look up at him.