Chapter 19

"Set Fire to the Rain"

2011 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 19

“Hope, are you okay?”  Bethany gripped the phone at her ear while shooting a death glare in Joey’s direction.  She really, really didn’t want to be making this phone call right now but he had left her with no other choice.  

“I’m fine,” she replied, sitting up straighter on the edge of the bed.  She glanced behind her and smiled when she noticed that Liam was watching her.  

“But what about you Beth?" She asked. "Liam told me that you were in the woods last night and I bet you have some questions about what......well, about what happened.”

Bethany breathed out slowly.  Yeah, she had questions.  Lots of question like how in the world did she get mixed up in all this mess.  Her best friend was evidently something other than 'normal', Joey was a bi-polar nightmare and then there was Liam, whom she didn't know what to think of. "I'm okay-" she said, "Considering-"

"Yeah," Hope agreed, "Considering all the crazy shit that's been happening."

Bethany wanted to smile at that.  Leave it to her best friend to put it all in perspective with just one sentence.  

Joey showed his impatience by stomping his foot in order to gain Bethany's attention.  When she looked up, he gestured with his hands for her to get on with it.  "Tell her to meet you at the Star Gas Station," he whispered irritably.  He was more than ready to have this conversation over with and get the show on the road.  

Grinding her teeth, Bethany looked away from Joey.  "Um- look Hope, can we talk.  I mean, will you meet me somewhere because to be honest, I don't know what to think about anything right now."

She bit the insides of her cheek, tasting blood immediately.  She hated herself for lying to Hope and she hated Joey even more for making her do this.

"Sure, sweetie."  Hope looked down at her lap where Liam was tenderly stroking her jeans.  Their energies were sizzling as they melded together.  When he touched her, even in the most innocent of ways, she felt growing anticipation.  It never failed.  She felt heat suffuse in her body and it constantly simmered, begging to be released.

"We're about three hours outside of town right now."  She glanced at her watch, "We need to get something to eat but we could probably meet up with you around two.  Does that work for you?"

Bethany felt sick to her stomach.  She lifted her eyes and swore right then and there that as soon as she had the opportunity; she was going to take Joey out.  One way or another, she would make him pay for what he did to both her and Hope.  

Swallowing, she mumbled dully, "Yea, that works for me."

"Perfect," Hope sang cheerily. A little too cheerily Bethany thought.  If she only knew the truth.