14. Stargazing

When the sun hid behind the horizon, I was seated in the living room with Riley and Grant.

Grant luckily hadn't tried anything with me. I wondered just what the others had threatened him with for him to be so held back from me. Surely he wouldn't give up that easy.

Parry, Harris, and Jaymi had disappeared to the 'blood room' which made me feel nauseous.

Darius was out, completing unknown projects, which I was sure involved Anna or his father.

I was told Seth was once again spying on Ryde and his friends and I felt uncomfortable with it, he could be caught, he could be killed, all because he's listening in on their plans for me.

Sometimes I wondered if I was worth all the fuss.
They might have been dead and cold, but I still didn't want to be held responsible for one of their real deaths.
I had come to know most of these people on a personal level, and I couldn't bear the thought of one of them no longer being here all because of what I was.

"For all the drama going on at the moment, this sure is boring" Riley groaned as he sat beside me in the living room

"I'm sure we could find something fun around here to do" Grant began, raising his eyebrows suggestively in my direction.
There we go.

Riley shot him a glare before turning his face soft towards me
"I have an idea to what I can show you Pretty" Riley jumped up holding his hand out for me to take.

I took it and was led outside towards the backyard. I was aware of Grant in tow behind me.

Outside it was dark and all that lit the small backyard were dangling lantern lights strung along around the swaying oak tree.
It was just as beautiful dark as it was in the daylight.
Riley led me to the middle of the lawn as it crunched beneath my shoes. He released my hand and dropped himself on the lawn, sprawling himself out on the green grass as he gestured with a hand for me to join him.
I narrowed my eyes at him for a moment before copying his actions lying beside him as he tilted his head sideways to smile at me.

"Look" He spoke, turning back to the sky above us. He pointed to the sparkling stars.
Not a cloud was in the sky. It was amazing and entrancing.

"Isn't it pretty, pretty?" He sighed

I nodded, "It is"

"It's really relaxing. I could lay here all night and watch them sparkle. Ever since I was a kid I've had a weakness for the stars" He started as we stared at the wonderful bright lit starry night sky "My father was deeply involved in stargazing. He had the most complex telescopes that ever existed. He was always showing me the different luminous ways they formed shapes" He continued proudly

I smiled and settled into the grass, watching the sparkles of light in the sky slowly shining and dancing

"I think I just might sleep here tonight" I half joked, breaking the silence that gently settled in

"Me too" He smiled in agreement as we lay side by side

"Do you miss your home?" He asked, causing me to turn my gaze to look at him, resting my arms under my head.

"I miss my friends. I miss my bed, but that's about it" I told him honestly

"Not your mother the least bit?" He asked, turning his head to meet my gaze as his hands rest folded on his chest

I shrugged "Not really. I miss who she used to be, not who she is now"

"She's still in there somewhere. Just hidden under the thick stubborn layers of addiction"
It was true, she was there somewhere, somewhere deep, deep down.