Sports carnival.

Corey.

Edited.

"People suck. I need a drink." Izzy stressed, lounging in the afternoon sun.

It was the day of our last sports carnival — a hot winters day, one of the hottest winters day Eastwood had on record apparently. We were sitting in designated tents, in accordance to that of our school houses; Aquinas, Barnard, Rainbold and Cadoc — after the tradition of all the year 12's running the 1500 meters.

"Did you see Mr B? He's stuck up at the triple jump pits, I'm sure he's got a flask of vodka hidden somewhere." I said, and Izzy and Sam and the others we sat with burst into laughter. The girls had their hair down, with ribbons wound in, from their tight braids and pony tails -- and it was the only day of the year when the teachers didn't care.

We had done our make up with zinc to match our house colours, flint grey for Rainbold, navy blue for Cadoc, pine green for Aquinas and rose red for Barnard. Izzy and I were both in Aquinas, while Sam was in Barnard. That morning we had gone to the bathrooms with Ava, Georgia and Bodhi and adorned ourselves in glitter and zinc. One of the most intimate things you could do is another persons make up. That form of trust does not come easily, and under Izzy's watchful eye I was sure to not screw up Georgie's.

Families were scattered over the three large ovals Yorkie had, and most were camped out on the sloping hill that led down from the tennis courts to the front oval.

Walking between events, we could hear Izzy's family shouting. Izzy was the last of a generation of Finlay kids at Yorkie. There were a few more coming through, but they were still in primary school.

All her cousins were there, the boys sporting the, I just left Catholic private school style of long hair. All of her family turned up, and both Sam and I stared at them in longing. Neither of our parents or siblings decided to come -- I wasn't expecting them to, so I tried to shrug it off but I couldn't, not quite.

Instead I busied myself by looking over Izzy's family -- catching one cousin sitting on the oval. That was the cousin forced out of Yorkie -- when she got pregnant and like Yorkie protocol said, she was told if she wished to continue she must have an abortion. Yorkie, ever the model Catholic school.

Phones slipped in and out of pockets, and the year was still whispering about Easts ball afters and The Bowl. Alex hadn't believed Izzy was a black belt so she put him on his ass, and then he sought comfort from Sam.

Candace, and her friend came up to us, they went to speak, full of bright eyes and smiles. I lifted my head and narrowed my eyes, and they scurried quickly away. "That was harsh." Izzy laughed, flicking her long hair off her shoulders.

"They were annoying."

"Actually though!" Izzy agreed, as Penn and Candace and their friends went off to harass Izzy's male cousins. We turned to each other and gagged loudly, so the girls turned back and caught us laughing.

The principal, Gavin Cooke, or 'Cookie' as he hated to be called, walked past, and gave us a contemptuous glare. "Haven't you girls got events to be getting to?"

"Not really, no." Sloane muttered to herself, and Izzy slapped her in the arm to shut her up.

We did get up to go walk around the events though, cause it was better than lounging around in the tents amongst the sports bags. Sloane grabbed a cupcake for good measure. Sam paused to put sunscreen on though, sighing ugh I get so dark when I burn.

Georgie said she needed to pee, so the other girls automatically jumped up to join her. They walked away, blending into the throngs of people on the immaculate lawns of the Yorkie ovals.
But Sloane grabbed us, and kept our pace slow.