Prologue: How It All Started & Also Kind of Ended

1226. I THINK I'VE COME to dread that number. That's how long I've been in my Dad's old pickup truck. 1226 miles. Or almost anyways. We're almost at our new home.

Oh, but where are my manners? My name is Mae Marwood, and I'm currently moving 1226 miles away from any friends or family. Well, except for my twin brother, that is.

I turn my head, my gaze falling on the sleeping figure that is my brother. His name was Dexter, but I called him Dex. He wore a red hoodie, several sizes too big for him, and his shaggy brown hair was in his face. He had slightly tanned skin, but he was never in the sun, so it seemed miraculous that he had gotten that much.

Another sign passes us by. Mile 1226, was coming up pretty quickly. The sky was dark, with only the moon hanging over us. Only the moon... Stars seemed to be shining brighter than they ever had back in San Francisco, California, or my old home.

I sometimes wonder why we even moved here. Dad said it was because of a 'job offer.' I think it was because he wanted to come back to his hometown, the place he lived before he met my Mom. She had died in a car crash when I was five though. Now I was fourteen, or at least I will be in two days. Another sign goes by. We're almost there. Dex needs to get up. I gently nudged Dex awake.

By gently, I mean I kicked him. Not hard or anything, just enough to wake him up. He woke up screaming. I felt the car swerve, as Dad jumped at the sudden sound. As we caught our breaths, I caught a glare from my brother. His eyes were bright green, the same as mine. I smiled, innocently.

"Did you have to kick me so hard?" Dex whined.

"That was no reason to scream." I said, then wrapped my arm around his shoulders. I noticed he flinched, a sign hardly anyone else might see. Dex had something he called Haphephobia. I called it the fear of being touched. Most of the time he let me touch him, but nobody else really.

"Yeah, it was." He said, with a scowl.

"Look out the window." Our Dad said and there was a sign. Welcome to Cloudcroft, New Mexico! It read. Might as well said 'Welcome to Hell for the next four years!' That was when I'd graduate high school, and go to college.

We pulled up to our new house. It looked like a log cabin on the outside, but luckily, on the inside, it was much more modern. It was still smaller than our old house, though. My room had a full sized bed that dominated a majority of the room, a small dresser, and a loft, where I put my laptop. The room was otherwise bare. Dex's room was identical to my own, but his had a door, to the woods. Why he would need one, that was his business.

I laid on the bed, which didn't even have sheets on it yet. I stared at the ceiling and didn't even notice that Dex had entered the room until he laid next to me. We laid on the bare bed in silence, just watching the creaky ceiling fan go round and round.

"So this is what mile 1226 looks like." Dex said.

"I suppose so." I responded.

"Something wrong?" He asked.

"I miss my friends." I sighed, sounding like a bratty kid.

"Meh, you'll make new ones." He joked. I punched his arm lightly and he stuck out his tongue.

"Childish." I snapped.

"Rude." He said, with mock offense.

We sat in silence a minute more, before I held up a fist. "Twins?" I asked.

"Twins." Dex agreed then bumped my fist with his own.

I smiled to myself. I really hoped I would find some friends soon but other than that, I was fine. Although who needed friends, I had Dex! He would be by my side no matter what happened.

That was where I was really wrong.

-=+=-

AN:

I just want to say hi. So hi guys! I hope you enjoyed my story even though there is only going to be like three of you reading it. Anyways the picture is of the twins, Dex and Mae. That is all pretty much.