Chapter 8: Weird Experiences & Strangers in the Woods

Dex's POV

I WENT INTO MY HOUSE to find a unwelcoming silence. Mae had the door to her room shut, which was just begging for me to take a peek in but I couldn't. My Dad didn't seem to be back from work so I settled myself on the couch. I turned on the television and started to let me mind drift. Soon I was just in complete darkness. I enjoyed it. So I stayed in the nice darkness and fell into a deep sleep. 

.  .  .

"Dex? Dexter? Dex wake up!" I awoke to voices and Mae shaking me slightly. When I opened my eyes I tried to get my bearings but I had no idea where I was. 

"What happened? I'm innocent, I swear!" I said, panicked.

"Dex?" Mae's voice came again. I looked around and saw her standing above me. I quickly realized I was on the floor and I stood up and brushed myself off.

"Yes Mae?" I said, as casually as I could.

"What the heck were you doing on the floor?" Mae asked, most likely thinking I was crazy. 

I thought about it for a moment but I didn't realize why I was there either. All I knew was that I wanted to go back into the warm light, so nice and peaceful...

"Dex?" Mae said, snapping her fingers, but also breaking away my thoughts which was a good thing. I looked at her trying to find an explanation, but instead I just found myself stuttering, not able to come up with an answer or stop from stuttering.

"Fine, don't tell me. You have your secrets and I'll have mine." She said marching off into her room and slamming the door behind her.

I sighed and wishing I could get her to understand me. Although I couldn't not unless I told her my secret about being a werecat and all. I couldn't do that either. She wouldn't understand, not now, not ever. She would call me a freak and probably reveal my secret to the world. Then I would be in some top secret science laboratory, or a circus, or worse. Plus it could also expose Charlotte, not a real good thing. So I decided, that even though I hated it, I would have to keep this a secret. No matter how much it killed me.

*  *  *

Mae's POV

After I slammed the door I started to cry. Me and Dex used to be so close! Now look what happened. Now we both have secrets, secrets that can never be exposed. Although I bet his were a lot cooler than mine. Part of me laughed at this idea. My secrets would make most people go insane. Although I was safe from this madness. 

Suddenly I felt as if I needed to get out of here. I knew I couldn't sneak through the front door without Dex seeing me and possibly telling Dad so I slipped open my window and kicked out the screen. I slipped through the window and ran into the woods.

.  .  .

About ten minutes later I was where Dex had gotten attacked last month, thinking. I was sitting there motionless when I heard it. Voices. They were coming from somewhere and getting closer. It was probably just some hikers but there was something odd about the way they were speaking... In those low hushed tones, they didn't seem like your typical hikers. 

Finally they came into view. One was a girl who looked about 16 or so. She had her brown hair braided, and she was wearing a red dress with black ripped leggings, and black flats. She wore no makeup that I could see so she wasn't from around here, that's for sure. The other was a boy about 17. He had black hair and freckles. He was wearing a dark red t-shirt, and dark blue, ripped jeans. He also wore a bright red tie, to top off his outfit. 

"I just don't think that will work Dillan. From what you told me about Charlotte we'll never be able to trust her. I just see to many-" The girl was saying. Then she saw me. A low hiss escaped her lips, and I jumped back, startled. I reached for my knife, but I realized I didn't have it. Shit. The boy put a hand on her shoulder then looked to me.

"Hello there." He said with a slight wave of his hand. I returned the gesture then looked straight at him as he spoke. "Sorry to interrupt, whatever you were doing but we had heard stories that a kid got attached here by some sort of Cat Monster. Is this the right spot?"

"Yes." I said, quietly. "I just needed to think. I was just leaving anyways." I wanted to get away from here as soon as possible. I didn't like the look of these two. Especially after that girl's inhuman hiss brought up so many bad memories.

"Wait. Why here? I mean you must have heard the stories-" 

"My brother," I said, cutting him off, "was the one attacked here. I found him out in the woods, almost dead. Lucky him." 

Dillan nodded slightly as though interested in what I had just said. He turned to the girl and whispered, a bit too loudly, "This is it! We will find the secret to taking down Charlotte!" 

"Charlotte? Like as in Charlotte Smith?" I said, curious. 

"That's what she's calling herself these days? I always knew her as Charlotte White." He said, as though remembering a good memory.

"You want to take her down?" I asked.

"Well not necessarily. We just-" Dillan started.

"Yes. We want to stop her. She is wicked, beyond compare." The girl said. I smiled. I knew there was something wrong with Charlotte. This would be my chance to prove it, and maybe get my brother back.

"Follow me." I said, before running off into the woods. 

-=+=-

AN:

Hullo guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter I sure did enjoy writing it! Make sure you voted on the last chapter for if you want a picture of Izzy or Charlotte! That will be coming soon. Soooo that is all for now! Please like and what not. So later! ;)