Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Do we really have to meet with Dr. Bitch this morning?" I muttered to Karev as we stood around one of the ORs with the other fellows and attendings, listening as Alana droned on and on, making me wish that I had called in sick.

"Play nice." Meredith warned from where she and Yang stood behind us.

"Bria, play nice?" Yang scoffed.

"The cameras are not here to spy on you." Alana told everyone, referring to the numerous cameras that had been installed around the hospital, watching everything we each did. "They are here to supplement you. On the other side of the camera is a remote physician, an extra set of eyes to help reduce mistakes, improve patient care, and maximize physician hours. Now the initial program..."

"I thought we wanted to reduce hospital spending?" I pointed out, keeping my voice low so Alana wouldn't hear me. "How does buying dozens of cameras and installing them throughout the hospital do that?"

"Just behave, Alana has already tried getting Hunt to fire you." Karev warned me. "Apparently you're a loose cannon that wasn't properly interviewed before being hired."

"Well, at least she got that right." I shrugged.

"And, of course, ultimately reduce costly litigation." Alana said as we turned our attention back to her. "So does that answer your questions?"

"With disturbing clarity." Yang nodded.

"All right. Let's move on then." Alana continued. "As you can see, this OR has been arranged with maximum efficiency, specifically for OR turnover. Now what are the main causes for bottleneck? The layout of OR supplies, equipment, and instruments. So what we have done here..."

"What did we miss?" Callie asked as she and Arizona slipped into the OR, standing behind me with Meredith and Yang.

"ORs are too sloppy for Dr. Bitch." I summed up for her.

"Nice name." Callie smirked at me.

"There are also doctors in the ceilings." Karev added.

"What? What do- What does that even mean?" Arizona asked, glancing around in confusion.

"We'd know if you'd just put her stupid tights on her." Callie commented.

"I was talking her into it, okay?" Arizona defended herself. "She was getting on board."

"Um, she's two." Callie pointed out, referring to their daughter, Sofia. "At a certain point, she doesn't have to get on board. She has to be in daycare. So you pick her up and you yank her tights on her."

"That's what you do. And then she cries." Arizona shook her head.

"Yeah, because you wasted all the time cajoling her, so now I have to be the bad cop. If you just made it clear in the first place that she has no choice."

"Right now I'm really happy that I had a boy instead of a girl." I commented.

"Because when every second counts, you need the most efficient approach." Alana raised her voice, making us go quiet and return our attention to her.

"What she said." Callie said.

"Your average time between surgeries is thirty-seven minutes." Alana continued, causing me to roll my eyes. "With these new OR procedures, I'd like to see that cut in half. Thank you, everyone."

"Don't thank me until you walk away from here without a scalpel lodged in your arm." I muttered under my breath as I followed Yang and Meredith out of the OR.