Chapter Forty-Two

Chapter Forty-Two

"Okay, so this time, I'll do the peds and trauma stuff first." Arizona said as we all sat in the waiting room of the latest company we were trying to convince to help us buy the hospital. After a week of doing this everyone was beginning to grow worried, even more after Karev had told Yang and Meredith just how bad the hospital had been doing since we all walked out. 

"And then I'll go into neuro." Derek nodded.

"Okay, can somebody else do the closing?" Callie asked. "I-I was awful last time we practiced."

"No, you were fine." Arizona tried to assure her.

"No, she stank." I spoke honestly. "I can handle the closing, better than standing behind Derek as I nod throughout the entire neuro piece."

"Derek, can you do the closing?" Arizona asked, glancing between Callie and I.

"Do none of you have any faith in me?" I shook my head.

"We do, we just remember what you did during the proposed budget cuts." Derek reminded me.

"I'm sorry, it should be just a few more minutes." The secretary told us. "Can I get you any water or coffee?"

"Coffee." Yang nodded while everyone else turned the offer down. "And a bagel or something. I'm starving. This meeting was supposed to start half an hour ago."

"Okay, he's a billionaire." Callie reminded her. "One of his minutes is worth forty of ours."

"I can't believe we got this meeting in the first place." Arizona shook her head. 

"Yeah, nice job, Stan." Derek patted him on the shoulder. 

"I really believe Julian Crest is our guy." Stan told us. "He made all his money in late-stage internet mobile. Medical tech is the one area he doesn't have a foothold. Your focus on applied research, it's right up his alley."

"Yeah, well, someone should buy him a watch." Yang scoffed before she glanced at Meredith. "Who are you calling?"

"Heather Brooks." Meredith told her. "Mousy."

"Wait. What are you doing?" Yang frowned, confused. "What happened to not talking to anyone?"

"I left patients behind. She's keeping an eye on them." Meredith defended herself. "I haven't said anything to her. I'm giving her advice."

"We're all set if you'll follow me." The secretary told us as she returned with Yang's coffee and bagel. We all nodded as we gathered our things and began to follow her down the hall.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You are investing in an institution, a reputation, a legacy." Derek told the two young men that we all sat in front of, around the large conference table. "But Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital is worth more than its past. Our plan is to build on that reputation, to make Seattle Grace a place where medical innovation is developed and delivered to the patients who need it. That is our plan. That is the future of Seattle Grace. And we invite you to be a part of it."

"Neat." One of the men nodded once Derek finished. "We'll, uh, let you know."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"I thought you were taking us to Julian Crest, not his daycare center." Derek frowned at Stan once we had all gotten outside after the meeting.