Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

{Bria's POV}

"Get her out of here!" I heard someone yell, but it all seemed muffled as I kept staring at the person in front of me. His dark brown eyes stared at me as I sad smile played amongst his lips, a smile I had seen so many times before. I couldn't take my eyes off of him until I felt my scalpel pulled from my hands and someone shoved me to the side. That was when I found myself being brought back to the operating room around me, but I was no longer standing in front of the operating table. Instead I had been pushed to the side and a man was now operating on the patient.

"Dr. Howard?" One of the nurses looked at me, concerned.

"Dr. Howard, please leave my OR." The doctor that had replaced me ordered. I looked back at where he had been standing only to find him gone now. "Dr. Howard!"

"I'm going!" I couldn't help but snap at him as I tore off my operating gown and mask and shoved them in the bin before making my way out of the operating room. Once in the hall I ripped off my scrub cap and threw it at the wall. "Damn it!"

I found myself sinking to the floor in the hallway with my back against the wall. I held my head in my hands, gripping my hair which caused it to come loose from the bun I'd had it in. I just couldn't believe that I'd just frozen up like that with so many people up in the gallery watching. Going into the surgery I'd known that everyone in that gallery would be judging my skill and who I was based on the outcome. Freezing up would do me no good and I would look like a joke to everyone; just a young kid that couldn't do anything.

Why did I have to see him in there?

"Bria?" I looked up to see Hunt standing there in front of me, a sympathetic look on his face.

"Sorry," I apologized as I wiped my face, as though I'd been crying.

"There's nothing to be sorry about," he assured me as he sat down beside me on the floor. "Freezing up happens to the best of us sooner or later, it's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of."

"It is when the whole hospital staff is jammed into the gallery watching me and judging if I'm meant to be here or if I'm just some stupid kid." I scoffed.

"Everyone up there has an experience that I'm sure they'd rather forget." He persisted. "Not long after I became chief of surgery I was operating on a gunshot victim and we were all cramped in there, trying to save the guy before it was too late. One of the residents thought they knew best though and ended up setting off the bullet on accident, lodging it closer to the patient's heart. I was pissed and I started lecturing her, I was tempted to kick her out of the OR. I slipped back into my days in the army and I've regretted doing that since it happened. She didn't deserve to have me snap like that, it's worse than freezing up."

"Then when she was a resident, before I came here, Meredith Grey ended up in the OR of a patient with live ammunition inside his abdomen. The ammunition of a bazooka." He continued. "When the patient was brought in a paramedic had her hand inside the patient to keep it from slipping but after a few hours and the bomb squad had been called in she started to panic. She pulled out her hand and ran, saying how she was too young to die. Everyone in that OR hit the floor, except Meredith. She stuck her hand inside the patient to keep the ammunition from shifting. The whole time she kept whispering to herself, 'what did I do'. I know for a fact that she wishes she could go back and do things differently but it helped made her who she is today."

"Mark told me about that," I whispered. "He said that the patient lived and they were able to remove the bomb, but that it did end up exploding and killing someone."

"The bomb squad officer that was removing it from the OR died when it exploded in his hands in the hallway outside the OR." He nodded.

"Pink mist," I said absentmindedly. "When I was younger I used to love the color pink, but then my older brother became obsessed with police work and all of that. He would read every article and book that he could find and would spew random facts to me. One time he told me that when someone is blown up by a bomb that they call them pink mist because that's what they become, a mist of blood. When he told me that I made our parents repaint my bedroom green instead. Ever since I've always hated the color pink, it makes my skin crawl."

A/N: Sorry for not updating in forever!!!