CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER 3

Josie's memories spiraled in snippets and snatches.

Big case. Terrified defendant. Protestations of innocence. Josie as champion. Television cameras. Crime scene photos. Interviews. Points of law. Fearful testimony. Children waiting for their mother and the world waiting for the jury.

Worst of all - victory.

Back then Josie believed everyone deserved a defense. Then she met the one woman who didn't. Kristin Davis played Josie like a fine fiddle until every string snapped. Josie who believed that a mother could do no wrong; Josie who looked at Kristin's children and promised to send their mother back home. She should have seen through Kristin Davis. But that was past, and the present had its own set of compelling quick cuts and consequences.

A sixteen-year-old kid in prison for murder. A desperate mother. An old friend. Innocence. Guilt. Who knew? Fire. Fame. Fortune. The eyes of a state - perhaps the country - focused on her through the lens of a television camera. Josie didn't want to be evaluated, critiqued, or judged for standing center stage as crime became entertainment. She did not want to speak for someone who could have, might have, or maybe did the unthinkable. Josie had had enough of that to last a lifetime.

"You're Fritz Rayburn's daughter-in-law, Linda. Call his firm. Talk to your friends. That's the kind of power you need."

"I already did that." She shook her head. "I spoke to Ian Frank, Fritz's old partner. That firm is filled with civil attorneys. They deal in big money. And there are - problems - extenuating circumstances."

"What about Hannah's father?" Josie dared Linda to cut off another avenue of opportunity.

"What about him?"

"He must know good criminal attorneys through his father," Josie insisted.

"Hannah's father took off before I even got the word pregnant out of my mouth. I married Kip Rayburn two years ago. He's Hannah's stepfather. Even I know this isn't the best time to ask him to run interference for Hannah."

Linda's bottom lip disappeared under her top teeth. She put her hand against the wall near the window, looking out as if she was expecting someone. It wasn't a person she was looking for but a decision she had to make. Finally she looked at Josie.

"Okay, I'll be honest. There are business considerations, careers to worry about and Hannah is a small cog in a very big wheel. When Fritz took the bench he had to put his partnership into trust so there wouldn't be any conflict of interest. That didn't keep the firm from trading on Fritz's reputation. It meant high profile clients because an original partner was a California Supreme Court Justice."

Linda put both hands on the back of an overstuffed chair. Her nails poked into the fabric. Her voice dropped another octave.

"Before the funeral we found out that the governor is going to appoint Kip to his father's seat on the California Supreme Court. He was going to announce it in the next few days while emotions still ran high for Fritz. A legacy goes on kind of thing. The firm keeps trading on its association with the highest court in the state, money keeps rolling in, and power is consolidated in their little dynasty. So we go to the funeral. The governor is checking out how Kip handles himself. It goes well. Then Hannah gets arrested and it's everybody for themselves.

"When I asked for help they say they have to think. How is this going to affect Kip's appointment, the firm's bottom line? They distance themselves. Hannah and me are left swinging in the wind. I understand how business works and I love my husband, Josie. I respect the tough spot he's in, but my daughter is a child and she needs help now. So I'm doing what I've got to do."