CHAPTER 30

CHAPTER 30

"405 North is packed and the transition to the 10 toward downtown is backing up. Rush hour has started early. Expect more delays than divorce court." - KFWB traffic report

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, Ms. Bates. The freeways get worse everyday."

Josie ended her call to Archer. He was headed to Malibu just as Ian Frank walked into his office. He didn't waste a lot of time on the niceties, but wasn't one to disregard them either. He was pleasant, focused, and comfortable in his domain. And a nice domain it was.

This man, worth millions, lived his professional life in a room that, at first glance, was less than impressive. It was the second glance that did the trick. The desk was simple with clean lines, as was the chair, but the wood quality and leather grade was exquisite. Instead of the artwork and honors Rayburn favored, Frank's walls were noticeably bare save for his Harvard Law School diploma and that was hung on a slice of wall near the door as if, once earned, it was of little consequence. Large plants in full foliage brightened the corners. Floor to ceiling windows afforded a spectacular view of the Hollywood hills behind Ian Frank. At Josie's back the view was equally rich. The eye bumped over the stair-steps of the downtown skyline before skimming over the cities that paved the way to the coastline. On a clear summer day Ian Frank could see the ocean but Josie doubted he was ever tempted to play hooky. There was a bit of the farmer in him; he looked up to check the way the wind blew. From his greeting Josie imagined she was just a breeze in Ian Frank's world.

"So what can I do for you?"

"I want to talk about Fritz Rayburn," Josie said, telling him something he already knew.

"What can I tell you? I didn't much care about Fritz's personal life while he was alive, and I don't much care about it now."

"Don't you think you should, Mr. Frank?" Josie asked.

"And why should I, Ms. Bates?" Ian Frank seemed amused.

"Because a law firm is reliant on its goodwill, and the firestorm surrounding the Rayburns could affect that. Telling me about them might keep damage to a minimum."

Ian laughed. He had a wonderful face, a beautiful head of dark gray hair. Trim and handsome, he was a man that would set widows and divorcees scheming.

"Fritz Rayburn's interest in this firm was put into a trust when he took the bench. He wasn't a practicing partner. Whatever you're digging up may impact your client, but the goodwill on my balance sheet is going to be worth exactly what it was worth yesterday, or the day before."

"You seem to be the only one who isn't concerned about the impact of Fritz Rayburn's habits. The governor is worried. The family is worried. The DA is worried," Josie pointed out.

"The governor has reason to worry. Fritz was his prized appointee. No one will believe that Fritz's shortcomings weren't discovered in a background check. So, if Fritz was a bit off, and the governor's office covered up, that will be a public relations nightmare. You can't put the horse back in the barn, you know. " Ian shook his head with certainty. "As to Kip, he'll be disappointed and embarrassed when the appointment doesn't go through, but he'll still be a partner in this firm. Money soothes a great many hurts. But all that aside, gossip or fact, none of this affects me."

"Your clients might not feel the same way." Josie pointed at him as if he kept those precious people nestled in his breast pocket.

"Hell, half my clients are worried about their own skeletons, Ms. Bates. In fact..."

He was interrupted when the door opened. Standing just outside of Josie's line of sight was a woman who was dutifully giving Ian Frank a reason to curtail this meeting.