CHAPTER 36

CHAPTER 36

"Hannah? Hannah? Was Kip in bed when you checked on your mother the night of the fire? Hannah? Can you wake up enough to tell me about Kip?" - Josie Baylor-Bates Long Beach Memorial Hospital, 6:15 AM

"Ask her. . ." - Hannah Sheraton, Long Beach Memorial Hospital, 6:16 AM

"Ms. Bates, you've kept this court waiting."

"I'm sorry, Your Honor." Josie pushed through the bar. The jury wasn't seated but the press was ready. Judge Norris wasn't peeved, just curious.

"Do you want to offer the court an excuse?" he asked.

"No, Your Honor, only an apology."

Josie put her briefcase on the defense table then stood at ease behind it. Norris was bouncing slightly in his chair, thinking. He sat up slowly and put his elbows on top of the desk. A moment later he raised one hand and crooked his finger. Josie stepped around the table. Norris's eyes flickered toward the prosecutor.

"You, too, Mr. Klein, if you like."

Rudy joined Josie. Together they looked up and leaned forward. Norris covered the microphone.

"Your client, Ms. Bates, how is she?" Judge Norris asked.

"Still sedated, but healing. They expect to transfer her to the prison ward in another week, perhaps sooner."

Norris nodded solemnly. "You understand that I can't allow another delay?"

"Yes, Your Honor. I'm ready to move forward," Josie answered.

"Mr. Klein?"

"The people are ready, Your Honor."

Judge Norris motioned them back. Rudy glanced at Josie. She walked past him. Both stood while the jury filed into the box then took their chairs when Judge Norris called the court to order. For the record, he reminded them of the matter at hand and then he was ready.

"Ms. Bates."

Josie stood. Her fingertips rested lightly on the table. There were pages of notes for each doctor she had meant to call, doctors whose testimony would seem almost inconsequential if her gamble paid off. She moved those notes to the side and looked instead at the ones she had frantically scribbled after seeing Hannah, ideas that she had relayed to Archer who, in turn, was searching for corroboration of the information Miggy had given them. In this minute, as the courtroom waited, Josie agonized about her choice: build the case, or go for the jugular. Finally she looked at Norris. It would be the jugular.

"The defense would like to call Linda Rayburn to the stand."

Josie turned around and watched the old Linda walk down the aisle. If she was surprised to be called she didn't show it. She was a woman above the fray, a lady who wore her money well. Her dark hair was pulled into a low chignon once again. On her ears were moons of Mabe pearls. Her make-up was exquisite, her suit worth more than the jurors made collectively in a month. Gone was the pretense that she was just a regular mom standing by her wronged daughter. From the set of her shoulders, to the look in her eye, Linda wanted everyone in that courtroom to know that she was a Rayburn. No one would compromise her or her family - especially Josie.

Linda took the oath. Josie waited. She could feel her heart in her chest. She could hear every beat. She was afraid that what she was about to do was motivated not by the quest for justice, but by her hatred of Linda who had committed a heinous crime against her daughter by leaving her. If that's what she was about, then Josie knew this would be the last time she stood as an officer of the court. Taking a deep breath, she put the question of her personal intent out of her mind. She would look into her heart later; decide what her own truth was later. Now the yellow legal pad was in her hands. The notes were there to guide her, but they had been hastily written before dawn and they were inadequate in the face of Hannah's directive.