CHAPTER 23

CHAPTER 23

Josie knew one thing: all problems could be solved.

Fritz Rayburn was a problem. Someone solved it by eliminating the source. Josie's father solved his problems by the book. Emily Baylor-Bates ran away. Linda turned a blind eye, some people ignored their troubles, and some created bigger ones to take their place. Then there were people who solved their problems the good old-fashioned way - they worked at it. Ask the right questions, determine if answers were truthful, make a plan, follow through and regroup if necessary.

Now they were waiting to see how Judge Norris would solve the problem of Hannah Sheraton.

Linda and Kip sat in the empty jury box, isolated, huddled together, and holding hands. Kip didn't move; Linda couldn't sit still. She leaned into her husband, put her hand on his knee, draped her arm over his shoulders, dropped her head so that it nestled against his jaw, and spoke to him in whispers. The only thing Linda Rayburn didn't do was look at Josie pacing in the back of the courtroom.

Josie checked her watch incessantly, and wished a thousand times that Norris would have let her stay in chambers while he spoke to Hannah. She promised silence. He had dismissed her, and now time wasn't going any faster because Josie was up and moving. She sank onto the back pew, put her knees together, and splayed her feet outwards considering the fine point on the toe of her high-heeled boots.

"Bates?"

Josie started and sat up straighter, instantly on her guard. Rudy Klein swung himself onto the pew in front of her.

"What's going on out there?" Josie cocked her head toward the door, keeping her voice low.

"The press is getting ready for a feeding frenzy. You're headlines again. That's quite a talent."

"Anything else?" Josie had no patience for him and this little game of dredging up the past.

"No. I guess not. Just thought you might like some company. I suppose I was wrong."

Rudy started to get up. Josie stopped him.

"Sorry. Sorry. I'm a little sensitive at the moment."

Rudy sat down again. He hung one hand over the back of the pew. He spoke quietly, thoughtfully.

"You're not the only one. And you're not the only one who feels bad about all this." Rudy sighed. His fingers drummed lightly on the back of the bench. "I've got to tell you it makes me feel terrible. I admired Judge Rayburn. I don't want to think he could do what you're saying he did. Not to a kid. Not his son or that girl."

Josie looked at Rudy as his voice trailed off. He was a truly handsome man. His hair waved back from a broad, intelligent brow. The eyes that looked so lazy were actually bright and telling. He had probably been a hell of an actor but he wasn't acting now. Rudy was disturbed and fighting to stay true to his own charge.

"I don't think anyone wants to believe it, but that is what we've got," Josie said.

"Maybe. Maybe not," Rudy sighed and rubbed his hand over his eyes. "I just wonder if you really know what you're doing. I mean the press is going to run with this, a lot of things are going to be called into question: Rayburn's judgments, the governors, your own part in this."

"Are you concerned for my professional reputation?" She slid her eyes toward him, wary of the opponent at rest.

"I wouldn't like to see you go down the tubes and I think you might. You're running with a ball but you didn't consider who made the pass." Rudy rested his chin on his hand. "Maybe asking for a continuance and checking out the kid's story before you came out with all guns blazing might have made a little more sense"