CHAPTER 18

CHAPTER 18

"There's no question that Rudy Klein has done a fine job of establishing that the defendant had both the means and the opportunity to commit this crime. Big points are going to be scored today, though. It says something when Kip Rayburn, stepfather of the defendant, is testifying for the prosecution. That really says something, doesn't it?" - Court TV

Eight forty-five. The last day of the prosecution's case. Judge Norris was late taking the bench, and that was just as well because Linda and Hannah were late, too. Josie sat at her table, looked at her watch, then stared at the bench. Finally she checked with the clerk and asked when she thought the judge would be ready. Ten minutes. Not exactly a reprieve, but there was some leeway.

Oblivious to Rudy Klein's curious look and the reporter's more interested ones Josie left the courtroom. The hallway was nearly deserted. Washington's Birthday was just around the corner. Only the courtroom kitty-corner from Norris's was in session. A crying woman sat on the bench outside it sniffling and blotting her nose. Everyone had troubles and Josie's were multiplying by the minute.

She reached into her pocket, got her phone, punched the numbers too hard, missed one and had to start all over. The phone at the Rayburn place rang until the machine picked up. Josie left a short message. She called Linda's cell and did the same.

Where in the hell are you?

Josie dropped her phone in the pocket of her blue blazer. She was halfway to the elevators when one of them opened. No one came out. Josie kept going. Another ding. The scraping of the doors. This time Hannah and Linda emerged. Josie covered the next ten yards fast.

"Where have you been?" She grabbed Linda by the arm and twirled her around. The other woman teetered in her heels.

"Traffic. It was down to one lane on Pacific Coast Highway. My cell phone battery was dead so I couldn't call. Hey! Slow down," Linda yanked her arm away. "Are we in trouble or what?"

"Not yet. Judge Norris was delayed. You just cut it damn close. I want us settled at the table before they bring the jury in."

Josie pushed Linda forward while she held the door open. Linda went in but Hannah had fallen behind and veered off toward one of the long benches that lined the hall.

Annoyed, Josie went back for her. Her client had taken a nosedive. Hannah's hair frizzed around her shoulders, her skirt was long and almost transparent. A short-sleeved t-shirt bared her arms. If Josie could make out the tracks of scars and scabs on her arms the jury could too, and that was the last thing Josie wanted the jury to see.

Josie put her hand on the girl's shoulder, angry that all their hard work was going to go up in smoke. "What were you thinking? I told you to keep your arms covered, to keep your hair simple. Those people in there aren't going to like. . ."

Josie's tirade trailed off. Hannah's head bounced gently like a bobble-head doll, all springs and joints. Unsmiling and bleary-eyed, one thing was clear: Hannah was stoned. So much for Fritz Rayburn's good intentions.

"Hey!" Josie backed Hannah up against the wall. Furious, she still had the presence of mind to keep her voice down. "What's going on? Are you high? You tell me straight up, Hannah, or I've got one foot out the door."

"No. Valium," Hannah whispered. "It's just Valium."

"Oh, Christ. Why would you do something that stupid?" Josie snapped.

"My mom gave it to me so I wouldn't be upset. Kip's going to talk today." Hannah shook her head, trying to find a normal rhythm to her words. "She said it would help. Don't be mad. Please. Please. Don't be mad."