Chapter 21

A guard led us down a hall of the palace if never explored before. The ball room only consist of most of the Selected, a few guards standing around the edges, and the royal family.

It wasn't meant to be a big party but the size of the room said otherwise. The ceiling seemed too tall to fit inside the castle with golden chandeliers hanging in a row.

Cream and gold pillars towered all the way up, reaching the ceiling with curtains draped between each one of them.

"It's magnificent." I whisper.

"I could handle living here." Rae mutters looking at the ceiling. "Just don't look at the lights too long."

I laugh aloud and follow her to the table of punch.

"Does that have alcohol in it?" Someone asks beside of me. I turn and see Addy, barely tall enough to see the punch bowl.

"I don't know let me see." I say smiling and take a sip. I'm sure the look on my face gave her an answer but I replied, "Yes definitely."

Addy tilts her head back and laughs. She wears a little makeup- which is too much for a seven year old- and her hair was in a neat French braid. Her dress was white and had black vines covered the top with shadowy flowers on them, which made out the one sleeve that ran across her right shoulder.

"I like both your dresses." Addy overlooks both of us. "Do you want to sit down?" She asks nodding to a nearby table.

"Sure." I shrug and she leads us to the nearby table. A maid comes by with wine glasses offering one to each of us.

Adds shakes her head politely while I mimic her. Rae accepts and mutters, "I'll need it by the end of today." She nods toward the entrance where Catastrophe comes in hanging off of Alex.

"On second thought." I say to the maid who's walking away. "Can I have two?" The maid laughs a little and one by one sets two wine glasses in front of me.

"There you go miss." She says.

"Thank you." I smile and lift one up to my lips. I can't say the taste of wine was good, but it made me feel less aware of the world. I don't know if that's a good thing.

"Attention please." The Queen says loud enough to be heard but in the softest voice possible.

"Id better go." Addy whispers standing and walking fast in the tiny heels she was wearing.

"Feel free to help yourselves and dance whenever you like. The prince is to be equals fair to all the girls today." The Queen eyes Alex who now sits in a chair beside of Catastrophe.

Alex's eyes dart from his conversation to his parents. He casually stands up and walks to the front with his parents and siblings.

"A small elimination will be held at the end of the party and an announcement for a group date Will also be." Alex says quickly.

"Enjoy." The Queen says. Alex nods politely and walks back to Catastrophe. I roll my eyes and drink a little more of the wine.

"You look like your enjoying plenty." Rae laughs. I scrunch up my nose and sit back in my seat.

"Do you think they have a pool here?" I ask. "I've seen pools before and they look great." I say relaxing at the thought.

"I don't know." Rae laughs. "Maybe you should just ask." She nods behind me. I blink for a second then turn around. Alex is walking slowly towards us.

"Hello ladies." Alex says sitting in a chair between us.

"Question of the day." I say turning towards him smiling. "Does there happen to be a pool anywhere in the palace?"

Alex hesitates for a moment. "There actually happens to be one, but you cannot visit it. Yet." He says.

"Okay." I shrug. I'm not used to waiting for things because I'm not used to getting them at all.

"You think you got enough?" Alex says seemingly amused while motioning to my drinks with his head. Rae and I both look at each other then at Catastrophe.

"Actually no." I say taking another sip of the wine. "The same maid keeps coming around and I'm afraid she'll judge me."

"It's their job, Charlie." Alex says stupefied.

"That doesn't mean they don't have feelings." I scoff slightly.

"That's obviously not what I meant." He replies. Rae seems shocked.

"Excuse me." I say lifting the wine glass that was still full even if the other one still has a bit in it, I knew I would need more.

I step outside the ball room and on a bench. Why are some people so stupid sometimes? When they feel like some people are lesser than them?

I breathe outwardly and lean my head against the back wall. In the end it won't be me with the crown on my head and I know I will probably be going home soon. It's okay though every story has its end whether it's good or bad.

"Hey." Rae says and sits beside of me.

"Sorry." I apologize.

"No it's fine. I was starting to get ticked off too." Rae laughs. "It's kind of boring don't you think?"

"Yeah. You'd think there would be... More to a party." I shrug.

Rae laughs and stands up. "They just opened the desert trays." She says wiggling her eyebrows.

"Ooh. There is more to this party." I laugh. I don't know how much of this I could stand.