Chapter 15

Nesy

Nesy

My life as a Watcher was nothing like it should have been. Taking human form was so different from what I'd expected, what I was prepared for. To begin with, I'd never imagined I could forget being an angel. I never thought I'd fall in love. And I certainly never expected to be murdered.

Mikayel saved me from that life, just as he'd saved me during my training as a Sentinal. He understood the permanent stain the human emotions had left on my soul. Understood the nightmares that plagued me during those first centuries—the time before I learned to master my weaknesses. Before I learned control.

His teachings had helped me in ways I could never quite express. Ways that forever defined me. And now, as my weaknesses, my flaws, resurface and my emotions unravel, I realize the truth.

I never mastered anything. I am damaged. Broken. I always will be.

I shake my head and shove aside my self-pity. This is not the time to wallow. Broken or not, I'm still a warrior.

I just need to remember everything that means.

I abandon my shame and push through the vortex into Celestium. The entire landscape glows like a prism in the sun. Streaks of emerald, indigo, ruby and gold dance around the sky. Inhaling deeply, I reach for the calm that always flows into me at home. But I find no solace this time. Neither the love of my realm, nor the peace that surrounds me can dislodge the rock of fear growing in my stomach.

"Come on," Zane urges. "They'll be waiting for us."

"You mean me," I correct, my voice as shaky as I feel.

"Don't worry. You'll be fine. Just answer their questions and keep the whole 'I can't control my emotions' thing to yourself," Zane says.

If only it were that easy.

I walk into the massive Council chamber with my friends. Large bronze doors carved with intricate reliefs of angels and demons greet us. The doors open and I hestitate at the threshold.

Cass squeezes my hand. Zane nods. We walk into the enormous room.

"Just Nesayiel." Mikayel says, his voice echoing off the gilded walls. "We will speak with you two in a minute."

I inhale my fear and step forward. I have no answers to the questions they'll no doubt ask. No way of explaining my mistakes, my feelings for the UnHoly.

I tuck my concern behind my warrior's façade and hide every emotion.

Time to face my fate.

The chamber itself is large, adorned with pictures of angels—Mediators, Anointed, Guardians, Sentinals. Every painting is depicted in amazing detail. They shimmer, giving the illusion of movement.

A lone golden chair sits in the center of the room. It faces a large alter with four majestic thrones. And in the thrones, the four I am most terrified to see: Gabriel, Raphael, Sariel, and Mikayel. The Council Elders. They rise as I enter the chamber, cold and detached. All except for Mikayel, whose anger is almost palpable. He glares at me, slicing through my mask and into my soul. There is little I will be able to hide from him.