Chapter 25

Nesy

Nesy

I head for the subway station, desperate to outrun the feelings threatening to overturn everything I've struggled to become: shame, anger, longing for the Beast that holds my heart.

Still.

The station is empty with the exception of three guys tagging the tunnel. They stare at me with hunger in their eyes.

Bad idea.

"Hey baby, whatcha doing out so late?" The leader of the group walks over.

Really, really bad idea.

Rage sears through me, burning my skin. I want an outlet for my anger and shame. And this guy fits that need perfectly.

Not within the rules. But I haven't exactly been into following rules of late.

The leader stands next to me, too close. He wears a serpent tattoo on his arm that peeks out from his torn t-shirt. "I said, what are you doing out so late?"

"None of your business," I say as I face him. I tap my heeled boots in annoyance, begging him to mess with me.

"We'd like to make it our business." A second guy walks over. The scent of his foul odor invades my senses.

Now I really want to fight.

I feel the corners of my mouth pull into a smile as I glance at the boy behind me. His dark eyes match his dark skin. Trouble.

"I'm only going to say this once," I say to tattoo guy. "Leave me alone."

"Or what?" he asks.

Thought you'd never ask.

"This," I reply, swinging my arm back and grabbing the guy behind me. I pull him over my head and drop him to the concrete with a loud thud. His eyes roll to the back of his skull and he groans.

That felt good. Too good.

Tattoo guy steps back, afraid.

Not so fast. Thought you wanted to play.

I swing out my leg, tripping him as he continues to step back. He lands close to his friend and I stick the spiked heel of my boot into the fleshy part of his neck. Someone steps behind me. In a flash, I pull my dagger and aim it at the guy approaching. He stops moments before colliding with my knife.

"Like I said, leave me alone." I dig my heel into tattoo guy's neck just enough to break the skin. A small trickle of blood leaks from the cut. "Understand me?"

Tattoo guy nods feebly.

"Good." I release him, straighten out my clothes and board the newly arrived train. The disgruntled crew remains on the platform as the train lurches forward.

I grab the railings and slip into a seat, drunk on adrenaline.

I shouldn't have enjoyed that so much. Shouldn't have enjoyed it at all. Guilt adds to the mix of emotions as the train rocks forward. The motion lulls me into a stupor, blurring my thoughts.

Each moment that passes loosens my defenses, tearing pieces of my warrior's façade away. Until the mask falls away completely. And my world crashes in on itself.

Pictures stream around me. Through me.

Mikayel's sword slicing into Aydan...pain radiates through me.

Aydan's body exploding into flame...my skin sears.

The look in his eyes as he screams my name...my heart shatters into a million pieces.

My human body trembles. My lungs refuse to work. The train continues uptown, the wheels screeching on the tracks. My nerves grating.

Death and love twine together, binding permanently to my soul. My stomach seizes violently and for a moment I know I must be dying as well.

"Get a grip, Nesayiel. You're better than this." I repeat the words over and over, battling against my feelings for Aydan.

Nothing works. My emotions rage out of control. My thoughts loop. And I remain lost in a labyrinth of torment.

The train grinds to a stop and I rise, forever trapped in my own hell. My body moves of its own will, dragging me out of the train and up the stairs. A blast of cold air bites into my skin as I walk.

Something pulls me forward, forcing every step my legs take. I have nothing left to fight against it, no way to resist.

Dark creatures nudge out of the alleys I pass. They pour into step behind me. Some take the form of large insects, snapping the spaces around me. Others are more like snakes, hissing taunts in my ears. And still others resemble birds, their sharp beaks and taloned claws brushing against my skin.

Like vultures, they've all come to feed off the dead.

I push forward, ignoring Azza's creatures careening around me. Ignoring their foul stench.

Ignoring...

Everything.

A demon steps in front of me, swirling from inside a familiar smoke—tall, human-looking save its sallow skin, stretched too tight over the bone. It claws at my arm and shreds my skin.

I keep walking.

The demon clicks its beak and raises another taloned hand. It gashes open a fresh wound as more dark creatures spill into the street. They crowd around me, halting my movement.

My skin sizzles as they lick my wounds and feed off my anguish.

Fight back, Nesy! Fight back. I yell through the ruins of my mind, desperate to regain myself. It's too late. The creatures continue to press in, absorbing my agony. Drinking each dark emotion, leaving me empty.

Sentinal! Wake up! Remember who you are! Aydan's voice floods my senses.

My lungs remember how to breathe as his words continue. My focus begins to sharpen and I wake from my nightmare.

Please, Nesy. For me. Fight back!

The voice seems to come from outside of my head.I turn to face it as razor-sharp pain tears through me and the taloned demoncarves into my chest.