Chapter 42

Aydan

Aydan

My mind is not my own. It's wild, violent. I attack the angels, desperate for their blood. But something holds me back, keeping me from killing them outright. Pointless. I will destroy them. I will kill them all. I attack with my sword. Rip at them with my claws. Nothing but their death can stop me now. I chase them through the mayhem, my excitement, my need, growing with every step.

"Zane. This isn't working." I know her voice, remember it from my life before. Cassiel. An Annoited. Her fear urges me forward.

"I know, Cass. Just try to keep from getting hurt. I'll push into his thoughts again."

Zane. A Mediator.

I know them both. Not that I care.

Kill them

—No.

Do it now

—Stop.

My hand rips across Cass's back. Her scream floods my ears as her torment flows through my senses, feeding me.

More. I need more.

A voice, not my own, floods my thoughts. Stop. This isn't who you are. It isn't too late. Please. For Nesy. The words tumble through the recesses of my mind, tugging on something deep.

Stop

—Keep attacking.

Let them go

—Kill them now.

Agony explodes up my spine and sets my blood on fire. My need coils around my torment, suffocating me.

"Zane. Do something." Cass pleads. The gash on her back sizzles.

"I am. It isn't working." Zane dodges my blade.

I corner them against the stone walls of the cathedral.

Must.

Kill.

The stones reflect the crimson glow emanating from my marks.

"Cass, you try. Go into his heart. Try to—"

I strike Zane, ending his words and sending him to his knees.

You're mine.

Something—someone—floods my heart. Cassiel. She showers me with memories best forgotten.

Love for an angel

Nesy.

Mercy for a human

Lori.

"Get out," I yell through gritted teeth. I pin her with my glare, stealing her air. The color drains from her face. She grabs at her throat, unable to breathe. Her eyes widen with fright. I shove her against the stone wall, and tear her from my heart. Her eyes roll back into her head as she collapses to the ground.

"Aydan. The marks aren't complete. You can fight your way back." Zane's words mean nothing to me.

I raise my sword to strike. My thoughts blur. My mind goes blank. My hand opens against my will, sending my sword crashing to the ground as my thoughts explode in a burst of emotion.

Hunger.

Guilt.

Torment.

Love.

Each feeling is a distraction. The Beast screams as the feelings attach themselves to every part of me. I scarcely notice the ground shaking. Or the Sentinals pouring into the courtyard. They close in around me. Chaos descends.

Demon against Guardian.

UnHoly against Sentinal.

Fear, despair, and death rage as the battle drones on. It feeds me, focuses my efforts, makes me strong.

Zane dives for me, his fingers wrapped around his meager dagger. I strip his weapon from him with a flick of my hand, sending him hurtling to the ground.

The Sentinals descend on me. "I knew I should have finished this before," the leader says.

Zaapiel. His name is Zaapiel. How do I know this?

I engage the Sentinal. We spar, the sound of our blades lost amidst the battle sounds circulating around us. We circle and strike, a fatal dance to the death. Zaapiel's rage fills the air and coats my tongue.

I want more. I hook his dagger and slice through his arm. Got you now, little warrior.

Zaapiel counters, thrusting his sword into my flesh. My mind swirls as I stare at the sword protruding from my chest and stumble. I'm hurt, but not dead.

Not by a long shot.

Grabbing the hilt with both hands, I yank it free with a feral scream. "You will pay for that Sentinal," I snarl, my words sounding more like a growl.

I lunge forward and dig my claws into Zaapiel's throat. His flesh sizzles. He slides to the ground next to Cass and Zane, blood oozing from his wound. His pain feeds me. His torment fills the empty spaces inside. I lift the Sentinal by the throat. His eyes are cold. Hard. He tries to speak. Garbled sounds replace his words.

Cass and Zane rise.

They slam into my mind.

Take over my heart.

Emotions ebb and flow for a moment. Until I block the intrusion and throw them from me. "That won't work, little angels. Not anymore." I bring Zaapiel within inches of my face.

Time to feed.

I bring my lips to the Sentinal's mouth as a familiar voice screams in my head. And kills a piece of me.