Chapter 33

Aydan

Aydan

I loved watching Elle and Lorelei together. It was the only time I saw Elle smile other than with me. They ran through the fields playing games or collecting flowers for their hair. More than once, I caught Lorelei hiding in the tall grass of the meadows while Elle and I kissed.

I knew Elle would never really leave her sister for me. No matter what she said she wanted so many years ago. Their bond was just too strong.

And now, I'm going to rip them apart. Permanently.

Nesy will never forgive this. Never understand why it has to be this way. Maybe that's a good thing in the end. Maybe her anger with me will keep her safe and enable her to do what she must.

I watch the auburn-haired girl sip her coffee, so alone and unaware. Where are the Guardians now? Why do they leave her unguarded?

Why do they make it so easy?

"Prove your words to me," Azza snarls, his feral gaze glued to Lori. "Bleed her."

I'm not ready for this.

"Here? No." I look around the crowded streets and turn to Azza. "I'll do what you demand, but not in the middle of the day. And definitely not in the middle of Chelsea."

"Fine. Then we'll take her back to the club."

"She won't go with us, not without a fight. And that would attract a lot of unwanted attention."

Azza faces me, his expression wild. "She hates me, not you. Not after your last visit with her. Not after you showed compassion. After you confessed your love for her sister." He spit the words at me, each one a dagger piercing my heart.

Lori's words that night replay in my mind. She knew my heart, saw the soul that still lives inside—the part worthy of Nesy.

"Of course," Azza says, interrupting my thoughts. "I could just take care of everything myself. Lori. You. Nesy." Azza's sadistic tone fuels my rage. "But then, our deal would be meaningless. As would my promises."

I release a frustrated sigh. "I get it. You don't have to threaten me. I know what you expect."

"And?"

"And I am prepared to do what you ask. I assume you'll hold up your end of our deal."

Satisfaction washes over Azza's features. "Of course," he says, the glacier tones chilling my dead soul.

Lori sits at a small table in the back of the corner coffee shop. I straddle a chair across from her, taking her by surprise. Her eyes widen and dart around the shop.

"Azza isn't here. It's only me." The lie rolls easily off of my tongue, as they always do.

"What do you want?" Panic fills her voice. I want to tell her everything is okay. Comfort her.

But that's one lie I won't say.

"Where's Nesy?" she asks. "Is she okay?"

Patrons walk around us, their chatter muting my thoughts. I focus on my story, choking on the details.

Fast. I have to say this fast. Get it over with before I can really grasp what I'm doing. Before I change my mind. "She's at the club. There was an accident. She asked me to find you." The words spill out, reeling her further into my web.

Every word poisons my soul, sealing my fate.

"The club? She wouldn't go there." Her lip quivers. I taste her fear. "Unless...Azza. She went after Azza."

"Yes. She was trying to protect you. Keep him from hurting you again." My stomach churns. The Beast grows. "Things went wrong. I managed to get her away from him. But—"

Lori hangs onto every syllable, barely breathing.

"Lori, she needs to see you. She...she may not survive." The words shred my throat. Tears fill my eyes. Real tears.

Torment over the betrayal I commit.

Rage for the murder I will perpetrate.

Misery for the one whose heart I just crushed.

A muffled scream draws my attention. No one seems to hear it but me. I look over Lori's shoulder, watching as Azza plunges a sword into a lone Guardian. A gasp escapes and my anguish grows, buffeting against my soul. Azza retreats into the shadows while the angel remains, bleeding on the hard asphalt.

My body stiffens. I should run to the dying angel. Summon Raphael. Turn myself in. I can't. Those actions guarantee Nesy's death. So, I focus back on Lori.

"Will you come?" I ask, touching her arm. "Please? Before it's too late?" My face screams everything I can't say, urging her to comply.

"Of course, I'll come. She's my sister. I'd do anything for her."

"Thank you. Nesy said you are the only one who could help her now." I stare deeply in Lori's eyes and let her feel every ounce of my agony.

Her expression softens. "You must feel awful, caught in the middle of something so big, unable to admit your true feelings for her." She takes my hand in hers. "I was wrong about you, Aydan. You haven't turned into a monster. Not really. I think you're more like the angel I met in Germany."

Her words kill me. They strip away my hope and confirm every fear. I'm worse than a monster.

I am the Beast.

We walk to the club in silence as the sun arcs across the sky. Fifteen hours until Mikayel's deadline. Azza's will come sooner.

Much sooner.