Chapter 15

Soren

     Soren had never been to the Soul Summits and therefore did not know what to expect. Staying on guard was a necessity and something he would not fail to be. 

     They were wrapped in a glowing pale light before the view of Soul Summits became clear. It seems as though the trio had quite literally stepped into an entirely different world. 

     The first thing that came into picture was a strangely colored pine tree. Instead of green, the leaves were light grey, as were all the other trees in sight. It was if ash from a great fire was dusted onto the broad needles. The bark itself was plain black, unlike anything Soren had ever observed. 

     They were on top of an lofty platform, naturally made of ancient tan rock. Soren turned and readily took in every detail. 

     A cloudless, pale blue sky stretched into forever. Grey pine trees descended for miles and miles. The ground was blanketed in dark, inky soil with light layers of protruding white grass.

     Soren noted that the sky was lit with a magical shimmer, yet there was no actual main source of light. Though the Might Empire and Altering Kingdom were in different dimensions than the human Earth, Soren still woke up to the sun and he went to sleep with the moon illuminating the dark sky. 

     Apparently the Soul Summits had a different order of things. 

     "We're here," Annika whispered at his side, gripping his hand fiercely, "I'm back."

     "Come," the pixie urged as she jumped off the rock, "the gates to the Center is a little walks away." 

     Remaining on high alert, Soren followed a few feet behind, never releasing Annika from his grip. Her touch felt soothing and brought subtle waves of pleasure to his skin. He confessed her touch was intoxicating. 

     "The council, explain who they are," Soren said calmly, needing more information.

     "Please," Annika added hurriedly. He briefly shot her a questioning look. 

     "Well, since you are so polite," she drawled sarcastically, sending a glare to Soren, "I shall tell you. I suppose you could call them leaders of Soul Summits. Usually, they possess a great power: physical or mental. The idea is that each person brings something different to offer for the group leadership." 

     "And Flaria offers her sight," Soren comments. 

     "Exactly, Fae." She answered his question before he could ask it. "The center is where all Soul Summit residents live, also where the council convenes. Are you familiar with human culture?"

     "Yes."

     "Good, well then think of the center as a capital of a state," she paused as if to be thinking deeply,  "This mountain right here that we're on? It's my home and I'd appreciate it if you left it how you found it." Soren knew a warning when he heard it. Though her threat did not bother him. 

     "Mountain," Annika muttered lowly, "no wonder I feel a chill, Siren." 

     Worry came up with a violent punch. "Are you unwell?"

     "Relax, Warrior," the pixie exclaimed from up front, "the woman's just feelin' a breeze." Her irritation was genuine and loud. That pixie and Malani would just adore each other. 

     "She's right," Annika agreed, "I was complaining, I'm sorry." 

     Soren frown and her noticably submissive response. "Never apologize for something so trivial," he took off his cloak and settled it around her shoulders, "here, I was getting a little warm anyways."