Chapter 17

Soren

     They all convened once more in the council room with Annika practically glued to his side. Just how he preferred it. 

     "You cannot be suggesting what I think you are!" An appalled elder exclaimed. He was a bit older that Soren with salt and pepper hair, but much smaller. 

     Flaria remained calm and collected with her hands folded on the table. She breathed in and out. "I do not suggest any-" 

     The meeting was interrupted by a certain ferocious pixie. She skidded to a stop, barely keeping herself from tripping. Her frenzied entrance was unsettling to everyone, including Soren.

     He remained on guard. Something was wrong, terribly wrong.

     "News from the," she heaved in great gulps of air, "from the, fuck, news from Might Empire and Animal Kingdom."

     Soren looked over to a pure forlorn swiping across Flaria's features momentarily before settling back to indifference. She nodded in acknowledgement as if the news were already known to her.

     "The King, Zyhed, he," Inferno looked Soren straight in the eye, "he raped and murdered Queen Ollana of the Animal Kingdom. Her handmaidens met the same fate as well." 

     Soren immediately felt a chill drag up his back. A calm settled around his physical frame, but on the inside, he was about to fucking explode. The air surrounding him dropped drastically from his change in emotion, natural in being aware of his temper.

     Annika gasped, whispering, "no, how is that possible?" She laid her head on his shoulder, overwhelmingly upset. Soren drew from her, needing to remain level headed for the both of them. 

     Rage, unimaginable rage was dancing just out of his mental vicinity. If they made contact, things would get angry. 

     Zyhed had finally lost it, he was so far gone that Soren was not sure if the King of the Might Empire had one shred of sanity left. The King was mad enough to kill the Animal Kingdom's very own and beloved queen. There was no redemption for his poor soul. 

     "What of the King Derious?" One of the female elders questioned. She had milky brown skin with sharp eyes. Her voice was tight with just barely leashed vexation. 

     "He was rescued in time, but King Zyhed did a number on him. They're saying they made him watch while King Zyhed did his bidding with Queen Ollana. The doctors are certain he isn't going to make it," Inferno answered gruffly. Soren expected more anger, but who was he to judge? 

     "Zyhed has lost it," the same female with intelligent eyes exclaimed, "war will be brewing certainly now!"

     "Ladies and gentlemen," Flaria announced gravely as she rose from her seat, cutting off all further discussions, "war is among us. The question is who will attack first." 

     Everyone seemed to hold their breath. A substantial pause came over the people in the council room. Making a sound seemed inappropriate for that little amount of time. 

     War was a subject to be regarded with tiring apprehension. 

     The last war fought between the kingdoms was hundreds of years ago. It was called The Bloodshed. The Might Empire had attempted to conquer the Animal Kingdom but, in the end, obviously failed. Deaths from that bloody conflict over land left a permanent scar on history. So many were slaughtered, slain without cause. So many were mutilated and tortured and stolen from. There was no such thing as morals. Nobility, honesty, and virtuous acts were long dead.