Chapter 34

Annika

     "Found you," that insidious voice whispered in her ear, waking Annika who could no longer fight slumber. Fear spiked when she felt his body heat so near in vicinity. Too close.

     She attempted to scramble away, trying her best to remain quiet, though she really just wanted to scream. 

     "Where are you going?" he demanded, just catching her leg in time. Zyhed yanked Annika backwards and jumped on her. Her dress slid up against the hard floor.

     His crushing weight made her gasp in pain. But she fought anyways. Her hands punched at his face, but his body length dwarfed her, so Zyhed was able to lean away from her vicious nails. Inferno didn't give a lesson for this.  

     She found out soon that he was still wearing his rings. They crushed against her face, and then her ribs, ripping and slashing, causing stinging and raw aching. She whimpered, not unfamiliar to such beatings. Her efforts never slowed at fighting him, even as Zyhed kept his strikes going. 

     The pain was overwhelming, and all she could do was take it. 

     "No! Stop!" Annika screamed when his forceful hand shoved its way up her dress. A beating was something she could endure, but not this, never this. She leaned over in panic towards his other arm that was pinning her body and bit it to the bone, not stopping till he rolled off, howling in pain. His revolting blood dripped from her lips and the metallic taste clung to her teeth.

     She crawled forward on her hands and knees, reaching one palm out to block her from knocking in to anything face first. The floor underneath her was rough, reminding her of uneven wood. 

     The darkness was vast and menacing. If she were blind or otherwise, she would not know. There was no difference anymore. Now, Annika relied on her other senses to locate Zyhed. 

     His steps were chasing in her direction. "You can't get away so easily, bitch!" His voice echoed for miles, into an infinite space that Annika found inconceivable. 

     Her movements sped up. It was hard for her to remain soundless. She was just so exhausted, needing sleep to help heal her wounds. 

     Annika shouted when Zyhed jumped on her. But instead of slamming into the ground, they slammed straight through a body of liquid. The warmth shocked her shivering skin, blanketing her. His body disappeared from hers.

     She flailed, struggling to find the surface. Her muscles burned from the exertion. Oxygen was briskly dwindling down. Her lungs constricted with need for air. 

     Annika was terrified, wondering if maybe this was it. The bubbles erupting from her lips were shrinking each time.

     Blonde hair. Warm lips. Dark eyes. Soren. Those thoughts flashed through her mind, coaxing her body into relaxing. The last images in her mind weren't so hard to cope with.

     Her limbs were floating, too tired to work. She needed rest. That was all. Then she would be okay. Just a little sleep. That was all.

     There was movement beside her, and then a hand was grasping onto her, dragging her sideways. It all seemed to happen in slow motion, or maybe it was because of the water (she assumed and hoped it was water).

     Annika gasped when her head broke the surface. She cried out, coughing as that same person lead her onto land. The dirt scrubbed onto her wet skin. Their strong hands carried her, fully picking her up. Her hands lain against firm muscle. They were unfamiliar. Not Soren.