Chapter 30

Soren 

     "Prince Soren, are my men needed for battle?" Ullian questioned. He was the man who first stepped forward, and Soren recognized him after a minute. It appears he was the new general. 

     As the story goes, the first general disliked Zyhed's ways and paid for his independent opinion in blood. Turns out this next one was even worse in rebellion, but the King had lost his gift in being observant. He forced the position on Ullian without so much as an interview. 

     "No," Soren decided, "but I do have a job for your men." 

     "Anything, Your Majesty." Soren nearly corrected him before realizing that it would soon be his official title. 

     "Send your soldiers to spread the news."

     "And what does 'news' entail?"

     "King Zyhed is now a traitor, and anyone who willingly aids him shall be trialed with equal severity. Prince Soren will now take the throne. Anyone who wishes to challenge my right as heir will be dealt with accordingly."

     Ullian grins, something Soren found it hard to believe he did often. "We will get along just fine."

     Soren cleared his throat and did his best to recall his social skills. Zyhed never concerned himself with assigning etiquette lessons for his first born. "I would hope so. When all goes to plan, we will be working closely, for a vast amount of years I assume."

     "From what I'm seeing, you are a vast improvement from your bastard father. Excuse my frankness, Your Majesty." 

     "Any other questions?"

     "No, Your Majesty. Am I to be dismissed?"

     "Yes. If there is anything else, I will send word to you." Soren gave a respectful nod. "And Ullian?"

     "Yes, Your Majesty?"

     He had trouble but managed to push the words out smoothly. "Thank you." 

     Ullian smiled. "Indeed, we will get along quite well." And with that, he walked back towards the throng of soldiers. 

     "God, it's stupid how good you are at being King," Rouhem commented, "and you're not even King!" 

     Soren frowned. "Is that bad?" 

     "You're gonna make my brother look shitty," Rouhem replied with raised eyebrows. 

     "King Brexon is making your father proud. And I do not intend to taint any royal image in Altering Kingdom."

     "Point proven! Are you naturally this polite?"

     "I was raised under the foot of a psychopath my entire life," Soren answered bluntly. Did he really need to further explain his sense of courtesy? Though it was usually only triggered when those of politically high stature came around. 

     "Fair enough." 

     Silence bled into the air between them, thickening with dark anxiety. 

     "Soren?"

     "Yes, Prince Rouhem?" 

     "Inferno and Annika are with that psychopath right now." 

     He just had to say it. 

     Soren was struggling to remain calm, and he nearly managed it.