Chapter 20

Soren

     Two great animalistic roars shattered the forlorn quietude into unsettled pieces. The cries were filled with agony and a terrible ache for vengeance. Walls were vibrating from the violent waves of sadness. Even the guards were clearly unsure of what actions must be taken next.

     Soren was out of his chair and dragging Annika away before their unified bellow could finish. He was glad when she failed to resist the urgency of his movements.

     If only one of them laid eyes on Soren right after their father's death, blood would demandingly be drawn.

     The crashing of the King's double doors proved Soren correct. Heavy feet fell into the floor, indicating that one of the brothers was getting near. By the massive weight put into each step, he knew whichever brother had altered into their full beast form. He had learned that when Alters became overwhelmed with dark emotion, their inner animal usually breached the dominantly used body, seizing control.

     Trying to find a way to keep Annika safe, Soren searched around for any escape.

     Finding an arbitrary door, Soren opened it and pushed her in as lightly as the anticipation in his frame allowed. "Stay in until I instruct otherwise," he commanded, wishing he did not sound so harsh. There was no time to change attitudes.

     "Soren-"

     A set of claws dug into his shoulder, shoving him against the wall behind him. His back immediately absorbed the hard impact of the sturdy material. Soren blinked as a lion's face was directly in front of his. It's eyes were blazing purple, and he realized it was Prince Brexon who transformed into his inner animal: the lion.

     The lion's mouth was wide open, exposing the extensive, razor sharp teeth lodged in his mouth. His jaw went so low, proving his bite would be of the most fatal wounds. His lion-face was pulled back in a snarl, and Prince Brexon let out one of the most prominent roars Soren were to ever hear.

     Warm breath blew onto his face, and Soren knew getting out of the lion's range was of the most importance.

     He moved swiftly enough to evade the animals snapping teeth. Though he moved in a blur, so did Prince Brexon. 

     People around the fortress chose to stay far away, out of a perilous battle between the princes of opposing realms. 

     As he reached the top of steep stairs, Soren realized he was escaping an inevitable fight. He turned just in time for the lion to charge him. Soren made sure his limbs were relaxed as they tumbled wildly down the elegant steps. 

     Each edge seemed to dig mercilessly into the most fragile places of Soren's body, especially his ribs. Pain lashed up and down his body in efficient swipes, causing his skin to pound with powerful pulses. The booming sound of their fall thundered right in his ears. Maybe he also heard real thunder? 

     When their bodies reached the bottom, Soren knew he would bruise into dark purple, like a vibrant night sky spilling with glorious stars of many shades. 

     Ignoring the sting of his wounds, he forced his body to shift, rolling away before the lion could slash at Soren again. The animal was letting loose many growls of aggression and frustration. 

      Soren studied the build of the mountainous creature. His mane was glossy brown that in turn fell back in natural waves, while the fur cloaked against his body was more between brown and tan. The armor of his physique was built with pure brawn, muscle taut with raw power.