Chapter 8: You Did Tell Me to Train Him, After All

REECE

"Stupid kid with his stupid aim," I mutter and refrain from kicking the nearest object as I roam around the back room.

It's almost as if he doesn't understand how much we're risking by trusting him, by attempting to trust him.

"Reece, what's your problem?" Katsuro asks as he walks in after me.

"My problem?" I snort and cross my arms, "I don't have a problem. I'm just trying to protect all of us. I don't appreciate help from prying eyes who were picked up from the streets."

"I get that," Katsuro sighs, "But come on. What do you think Clattonia's doing? Everything that she does is for us, you of all people know that."

"Yeah," I counter, "But what about Juniper?"

"What about Juniper?" Katsuro raises his eyebrows.

"We both know you love her, and I mean in a manner that's more than just friends. Do you really want her to get hurt because of this? She really trusts Jace, and who knows what he'll do."

"Look," Katsuro sighs, "I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm just saying that you should give him a chance."

"Yeah, yeah," I roll my eyes as Katsuro leaves the room, "Whatever."

"Give me a chance, huh?" Jace raises his eyebrows as he walks in after Katsuro.

"Do you have a death wish?" I raise a brow and lean against the wall.

"What is your problem?" Jace scowls slightly.

"You are," I snort.

"I got that," Jace starts, "But what's your problem with me?"

"Are you kidding me?" I laugh, "You barge in here and act like you know what you're doing, who you're dealing with, what we're doing -- but you don't. I hate people who assume things based on outwards appearances. I don't want you anywhere near these people, my family. They're the only family I have."

Jace stares at me for a few moments, almost as if he's debating whether or not to bring something up, but then he speaks up.

"What about your parents?" Jace asks.

"My parents?" I snort, "Ah, shit -- my parents. You're a funny one, aren't you? My mother was a supernatural who obeyed Father's every order and lived in fear that one day he'd snap. And my father? He was an addict to well, pretty much anything you could name. The only person in my family who tried to make a difference was me. Granted, I loved my mother, but she was just too scared to do anything. The only other person who ever tried was my younger brother, but you don't even deserve for me to tell you about him. Even if you did, I don't trust you anyways."

"I don't know what you think I'm going to do, but I'm not going to hurt any of you," Jace says, "And I don't judge by outward appearances. I judge by what I know and what I'm familiar with, but I always try to be open minded. But how would you know that? Considering you never even gave me a chance."

"You lost it when I figured out you don't have a real backbone," I snap, "You're just a kid who wants to prove that he's good enough. Prove that he can be useful. Prove that he isn't worthless. So you'll do anything to get that approval, won't you? You'll do whatever anyone tells you to do, whatever anyone dares you to do, won't you? You might be brave, but come talk to me when you stand up for yourself. Otherwise, I don't want you around."

"Reece," Clattonia starts as she walks in the doorway, "I want you to take Jace to the training rooms. Take a few others with you. I have to take care of something, but once I'm back I'll join you."