Chapter 20: Vibrant Saturations of Ink

ESSENCE

"These people sure are strange," I mutter as I sit on the soft, lavender bed with white and soft blue colored sheets and pure white pillows, which is complimented by the dark wooden floor and the light lavender colored walls.

However, as strange as they may be, they're all so unique and special in their own ways, and I think that I'm going to like it here. I know that I'll have to train hard, harder than the rest of them, most likely, but it's worth it. I want to make a difference in the world and I'm tired of running from my fears.

A knock appears at my door and my eyebrows arch in surprise, but I welcome them in nonetheless.

"Come in," I call out to them.

"Hello," Indigo smiles slightly as she peeks in the room through the crack of the door, her fingers on the edge of the door as she leans in and looks around, "May I come in?"

"Sure," I nod and she smiles even more than she was, opening the door wider and stepping inside before shutting it behind her.

"I just wanted to come tell you that you can feel free to decorate this room however you want. I don't know if you have any furnishings that you already own that you'd like to put in here, but if you do, any of us would gladly help you bring them in here if you need help. And if you want to go shopping, I'll gladly go with you," Indigo explains.

"That was quite a lot of words from someone who doesn't speak often," I say jokingly, knowing that I have no room to talk.

"Yes, well," Indigo flushes slightly in embarrassment, "I figured that perhaps if I showed that I can be outgoing, you can be too. I noticed that you're a lot like me, in some aspects, so I thought that maybe if I showed you I can be strong, that you'd believe in yourself too."

"Thank you," I chuckle slightly, "But I don't have any possessions aside from my clothes and a few small items like pictures and sentimental things. And as for new furniture, I don't have any money, at least, not enough to buy furniture. I only ever had enough to get by."

"That's okay," Indigo shakes her head, her indigo colored eyes boring into my brown ones, "We're a family here, so your interests are our interests. You don't have to worry about not affording things."

"That's very kind," I say and look down at my hands, which are cradled in my lap, before looking back up at her, "I can't thank all of you enough."

"No problem," Indigo smiles, "And for your training partner or instructor, you can choose whoever you want to show you the basics. You can have more than one training partner, but since you've never really learned anything properly, it's probably best to choose one for now."

"Good," I grin, "Because there's someone I'd like to show up."

"Who?" Indigo tilts her head to the side slightly and raises an eyebrow in curiosity as her eyes watch me.

"That'll be my little secret, for the time being," I chuckle, "But you'll see."

"I'll be looking forward to it," Indigo says and smiles slightly.

"Hey, Indigo," I say whenever she turns to leave, "Can I ask you something?"

"Hm?" She turns back around on her heel and watches me intently, "What is it?"

"You used to be even quieter than you are now, right? Who made you who you are today?" I ask.

"Well," Indigo pauses for a few moments, "I grew up next to Ink and he would often come over and visit me, seeing as how we lived next to each other. I was a very introverted child and Ink was extremely outgoing, but we instantly became best friends. But, one day, his family had to sell their house and flee due to White Rabbit, leaving him in the care of my parents because our families were close. Ink ended up living in the room above mine. I always loved to watch him paint. He's amazing at anything artistic -- drawing, painting, tattooing, spray painting, and sketching. He's extremely creative as well and he's usually always smiling. I love that about him. We've always looked out for each other, and one night, Ink rushed me from my house on behalf of my parents in order to keep me safe while they were attacked by members of White Rabbit. I owe a lot to him. We ended up meeting Clattonia and the others after escaping and we've been here ever since. I guess you could say that all of them influence me."

"Everyone here has been through a heartbreaking experience, haven't they?" I say quietly.

"Unfortunately, I'd say more than one heartbreaking experience," Indigo says softly as her eyes hold sadness, "But, we're welcome to have you here. I hope all things go well."

"Me too," I say quietly as she turns to leave before heading out the door, "Me too..."

***

"Rise and shine," I wake up to Reece's voice and a sharp kick to the foot of my bed, a scowl forming on my face.

"Don't you know I need my beauty sleep?" I grimace as I sit up and rub my eyes as Reece stands there wearing a white, sleeveless shirt with fitting black jeans and has dog tags hanging around his neck and his arms are crossed against his chest, his watch glinting under the sunlight from the nearby window that streams in from the curtains.

He narrows his brown eyes at me before sighing and pulling the covers down, making me yelp from the sudden rush of air as I sit there in a pair of medium grey shorts with thin, black zebra stripes and a pink t-shirt that has medium grey and purple blotches of color around the blue and purple bubble art text that reads "BLAM" in the center of my shirt.

"You've gone from shy, quiet, reserved, and weary to sassy, sarcastic, and short-tempered real fast," Reece says somewhat harshly, "I don't know how much I like it on you. And get up, we have things to do."

"Are you going to train me?" I ask hopefully as my eyes light up at the prospect.

"No," Reece shakes his head, "Not yet. I need you to come with me somewhere."

"Oh?" I tilt my head to the side in curiosity and he sighs in frustration.

"Come on, we don't have much time. I wanna get there before lots of other people do and before it gets too crowded," Reece says as I climb out of bed.

"Where exactly are we going, anyways?" I ask as he walks towards the door.

"I'm taking you shopping, and I need to pick up a few things from the city and drop them off somewhere on the way back, meaning you'll be coming with me," Reece explains.

"Eh?" I tilt my head once again in curiosity, "Drop them off where?"

"You'll see," Is all he says before leaving and shutting the door behind him, leaving me standing there still wondering where it is that we're going.

"He could be a little less mysterious at times, ya know," I mutter to myself as I go over to my dresser.