Chapter 60: Midnight's Justice

REECE

"It was nice of Jace to get us food before the fight," Clattonia says as Juniper, Katsuro, Aeryn, Lucian, and I are in the kitchen, Clattonia leaning against the counter, Juniper standing by the stove with Katsuro, and Aeryn and Lucian sitting at the table while I stand by the doorway.

"Of course you would say that," I glance pointedly at her, sipping my dark coffee, "but, you're not wrong. He was surprisingly thoughtful and surprisingly accurate in his orders."

"At least we already have everything prepared," Juniper starts, smiling slightly, "now we have time to enjoy our food and spend time together before..."

"Yeah," Lucian nods, finishing Juniper's sentence whenever she trails off, "I know what you mean."

"We'll start heading out whenever Jace gets back," Clattonia says, whirling around to face us with a plate of pie in her hand as she scoops up a spoonful of it.

As if on queue, Indigo runs into the kitchen, her daggers in her hands and her eyes searching all of ours, "Jace is here."

We all look at each other, nodding in agreement before placing our food down and running towards the front door with Indigo, where Jace, Ink, Asylum, Cassidy, Antillies, Caliber, Kazuki, Ryouichi, Mitsuko, Labyrinth, Valentina, Kai, Simon, Essence, Raphael, Azriel, and Myfanwy are waiting.

"Are we ready?" Clattonia asks, glancing between all of us.

"We're as ready as we'll ever be," I nod, "now, let's do this!"

The group of us run outside of the hideout and down the street until we reach the headquarters of White Rabbit, where we find Aether standing outside, grinning wildly, as he holds two of his pistols and multiple police cars surround the building, their sirens flashing. Meanwhile, Nightshade is off to the left while Misery is off to the right and Loralai is further back left.

"Caliber, Indigo, Ink, Myfanwy, and Kazuki!" Clattonia yells as we continue approaching, "take on Misery! Aeryn, Lucian, Cassidy, Antillies, Mitsuko, and Ryouichi, take on Nightshade! Azriel, Raphael, Valentina, Kai, and Simon, take on Loralai! Reece, Jace, Essence, Asylum, Labyrinth, Juniper, and Katsuro, come with me!"

"On it!" Indigo yells and runs off to the right with her grouping.

"Gladly," Aeryn smirks and runs off towards Nightshade with the others.

"As you command," Valentina curtsies and smirks, summoning her scythe before running off with her grouping.

The last of us continue running with Clattonia until we reach Aether, Clattonia summoning her katanas beforehand and me summoning my great sword while Asylum pulls his compact blade off of his back and opens it up after pressing the center gear. Meanwhile, Essence summons a bow made of energy, Labyrinth summons her gauntlets, Juniper summons her spearstaff, and Katsuro summons his sword and shield while Jace summons his scythe.

"You won't win this, Aether," I scowl, my grip tightening on my blade.

"Maybe not," Aether shrugs, his eyes flickering between me and Labyrinth, "but I'll damn sure die trying to keep scum from you like taking over. What are you even doing this for? Liberation? Is that what you want? To be liberated?"

Aether scoffs and spits, stepping forwards and narrowing his eyes at us.

"You want liberation? Valediction? You want freedom? Is that what you want? You're all idiots. Damn fools," Aether snaps, anger burning in his brown eyes, "doing this will get you nothing. You don't deserve liberation. Your people don't deserve freedom. You're monsters. All you know is how to hurt people. You'll never be accepted. Never be loved. Never have a home--"