~6~ Holy Sheet, Bat-girl! The Irish Antichrist has risen!

It may be he shall take my hand,
and lead me into his dark land.
And close my eyes and quench my breath, 
I have a rendezvous with Death.
And I to my pledged word am true, 
I shall not fail that rendezvous.

"I Have a Rendezvous with Death" ~ Alan Seeger. 1888–1916

💀💀💀

Instead of taking her bait to starting battling with the Irish Antichrist, I try to think her threat through. Fortunately, the smartest person in the mix starts talking before me and Irish can really start the war we'vebeen waiting for.    

"Darren, your grandmothers absolutely right." May frowns deeply down at her hands. "That's really been the underlying threat all along ...at least with my father, anyways. The 'what will people say about us' factor."

"Do you actually care what anyone says, May?" I counter evenly.

"Nope," May smirks. "But the Grimm Father certainly does ...a lot. So if he cares, then he can force me to care, by forcing the school to care. And if that doesn't work he can always send me away to Blind Boarding School. That is unless someone can force the school not to care? In which case, he would probably prefer to remain completely ignorant of everything."

"Smart girl." Irish nods smiling. "And no offense May Belle? But I think you and I both know that the one thing your father loathes more than the idea of you growing up? Is the embarrassment and stigma that the rumor mill in this town can generate, when they don't like something or someone."

"Ma'am, may I ask you a question bluntly and get your honest answer?" May nods thinking thru her next moves.

"Yes, you may May Belle. And contrary to what my idiot grandson says it's just Irish." The Irish Antichrist skins back a rictus grin.

"What if I take full responsibility for the kiss and everything that followed? Can this become just a blind girl gone wild thing? Then Darren's involvement be overlooked?" May proposes a plan I already hate.

"That is never gonna happen, May." I instantly negate the proffer. "No way in hell am I gonna stand by and let you stand alone against that piece of ...sheet." I use my new word for Irish's benefit.

"Darren, I already know how brave you are, but I asked your grandmother a question?" May intones contritely. "So I'd like to hear her answer, please."

I am shaking my head slowly at Irish, so as not to let May know what I am doing. I will never allow this girl take a hit for me, under any circumstances.

"As it happens I happen to like the boys answer much better." Irish smiles, slightly like a psychopath. "Dean's don't run from fights May Belle ...we run at them."

So now I am seriously confused. Because it sounded a lot like Irish just said something very reasonable to me? Even El Diablo is scratching his horns, and thinking this is right. So why does it feel wrong, when Irish says it?

"Now we have less than twenty minutes and counting before the die is cast on this. I suggest you start talking fast. How did this all happen, May Belle?"

"Okay, then," May sighs and begins retelling the tale by rote "So Darren came into homeroom almost late, as usual. Well except for the smell that came with him. Because apparently, he wasn't able to shower before school this morning because of a broken water heater. And then..."

In less than two minutes flat May has just wrapped up a far more intriguing tell-all, then my short synopsis of: kiss, detention, fight, bail, bike, bitch!