Cinderella Part 1

Your favorite book was Ella the Great. It was about a girl who went on daring adventures and battled monsters. It was considered odd as women of your time weren't as daring but you found yourself wanting to be like her. You were rereading the book near the fireplace. It was midday so there fire was not lit but there were ashes and cinders that kept it mildly warm. You had left the windows open so it wouldn't get to stuffy.

As you were reading, a gust of wind blew through the room and the cinders and ashes were swept along with it. They covered you and your book. Just then your father called for you. You got up as you coughed and tried to rid yourself of the ash. Your father walked in and sees what state your in.

"My goodness F/n. What happened? Are you alright?" He asked as he makes his way to you.

"The wind blew the ashes." You say as you try to wipe the ashes from the book. Your attempts are futile as it only make it worse. "I'm fine, but my book isn't though." you say glumly. Your father looks at the smudged pages. On it was a picture of Ella who was now covered in the ashes.

"I guess this little Ella became a Cinderella (bear with me. I know it is a stupid joke.)." Your father tried joking. You don't laugh as you are upset about your books state. Your father then rubs his finger on his cheek. You wipe your cheek and see that there are ashes on it. "Now you are Cinderella too."

"That isn't funny." you say as a matter of fact. "I can't read my book now." Your father simply smiles.

"I tell you what. When I go on my next trip, I will be sure to bring back a new copy of Ella the Great." You brighten at his words.

"Really." You say excited. He nods and you hug him. Your father was a successful merchant. Also unlike many men of your time, he encouraged you to be daring and adventurous. He supported the fact you wanted to make your own decisions and be independent. As for your mother though, she died when you were around two due to an epidemic at the time. That was eight years ago. Also ever since that incident, he would call you Cinderella as a way of endearment.

Your father did indeed keep his promise about bringing you a copy of the book but he brought something else. Someone to be exact. A woman who had two daughters around your age. The girls were pretty and named Rose and Lily. The woman who was also beautiful was Madame Iris. It suited them very much. Your father had told you that he met the lady and proposed after a month of knowing her. You were excited at the prospect of having a mother and two playmates but you didn't realize the changes that were to occur.

You were certainly more wild the Rose and Lily. You were playing outdoors fighting imaginary monsters and Rose and Lily would play house. Madame Iris tried to make you a proper girl of your age but your father intervened every time. With time, you did mellow out. You acted like a proper lady but even so you loved having adventures. You got along well with Rose and Lily but not much with Madame Iris. You two always found yourself at odds. You didn't hate her and she didn't hate you. That was until a fateful evening.

You were sixteen now. You were wearing mourning clothes as your father died due to influenza. The will was being read out and it was stated that F/n L/n would be the sole heir to the fortune he left behind. Now you weren't an adult yet so you couldn't inherit just yet. Instead the bank held the money until you were of age. Your step family was given a monthly allowance of the fortune until you inherited

Rose and Lily didn't think much of it, but Madame Iris did. For years she spent long hours trying to make a proper lady of society. It angered her that she was not allowed to have even a penny from your father's fortune after you were of age. She had begun to resent you. Slowly she had you do all the housework, cooking, cleaning and all sort of the hard labor. She fired the servants and had you wait on her hand and foot. That nickname Cinderella that was once used a term of endearment was now used as a way to mock you.

Rose and Lily thought your treatment was wrong but dared not to defy their mother. Instead they would help you on occasion when she wasn't looking. You at times wanted to run but where would you go. You had no money. At least until you were eighteen. You had a plan. When you turn eighteen you would travel the world. Of course you would provide for Rose and Lily. Maybe for Madame Iris, because she was their mother after all. This was motivated you to stay and deal with the abuse you were getting.