19 | Unnees

chapter dedicated to sorbeted , one of my most avid readers and supporter and a great great friend x 

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 

19 | Unnees

"You self-invited your sisters to Tara's sangeet?" Lekh barged into his parents' room angrily. "Are you out of your mind?"

His father, who was turning over some file papers looked up at the disturbance, his mother looked like she was going to burst out of anger.

"What happened now?" Ranjeet Singh Rajput asked his wife, annoyed.

"Tara's family did not have the courtesy to invite my family so I had to invite them myself." Indira said, her tone composed. She wouldn't dare letting off wickedness in her tone in front of her husband. Nothing annoyed her husband more than drama he didn't care about, well that and she herself.

"It was not your place." Lekh hissed.

Ranjeet sighed in aggravation, "At least let me have some peace in my room!" he scolded Indira, he never directly spoke to Lekh.

"I-" Indira started replying but was cut short by him.

"Don't go inviting your sisters to events that aren't your business. Some people don't have courtesy, there's nothing we can do about it." Ranjeet snapped, killing two targets with one arrow. That was the head of the Rajput family, he was always precise, curt and sharp.

Despite his father's comment on Tara's family not having courtesy, Lekh was genuinely surprised at him. He actually told off Indira for self-inviting her sisters. That was a first, his father never agreed with him on anything. Lekh stood silently had Ranjeet got up and left the room, his face strict and posture controlled as always.

After he was gone and Indira was sure her husband was out of earshot, she turned to her younger and only son.

"What in the world do you think you are doing barging into your parents' room so disrespectfully?" She demanded angrily.

"What in the world do you think you were doing when you invited your sisters to the sangeet?" Lekh retorted.

Indira glared at her son angrily. Why was he getting so sensitive about it? That Lekh had started protecting Tara so much was frustrating her and the fact that he was even protecting her good for nothing family was killing her. She was angry beyond measure and that her husband had witnessed this, fuelled her aggravation.

"Tara's family didn't have the sense to invite such important people. I have no idea what I was thinking when I decided to bring Tara to this house given how she comes from such a barbarian family." She growled angrily, her breath heavy.

"Maa!" Lekh shouted. Important people, my foot! "Just because they didn't invite your sisters doesn't mean they are barbarian. And why would they when they don't even know them. It's the bride's side's function, the groom's side don't go."

"Your sisters went." Indira hissed.

"They took the shagun."

Both the mother and son continued their verbal aggression. Lekh was relentless and Indira was shocked. When Lekh was angry or disappointed, he shunned himself out. He ignored the world and he pretended the person he was angry on didn't exist in the world. That's how Indira had managed to get away from all the things she did to him. Or the ones he loved.

It was happening again. A girl was bringing change in her son once again, after all these years. History was repeating itself. Except this time Lekh was ready to fight, he was strong in the battle from the scars he had gotten from the last one.

And Indira wasn't sure she liked it. But Indira was sure she was going to do something about it.

* * *