2.surprise that startled me

I dart through the corridors of the school which I promised never to meet again, but my curiosity propelled me forward.

There I was greeted by Mrs Rosewood principal of Winfred high. Her eyes perched up high on her bony face, her hair tied onto a bun without a single stray hair. She is obviously a person you would not wish to mess up with, even in your wildest dreams.
I never knew if she ever knew my name. I was sort of invisible in the school, one of the dumbest,well not those stupid kind those invisible average kind whom the world never remembers and this makes me least popular student especially after the stumbling finances of my family.

Her stern pen streaked lips broke into a smile which I have never seen before.

"Elle,we were waiting for you"... Her words gave me goosebumps.
I followed her silently.
I peered into the empty classroom where she led me. There towards the rightmost corner sat Mike conversing with a teacher. As we entered they looked at us and Mike smiled.

Handsome, would be just an understatement when it comes to Mike. He is a pure heart throb,...indeed a quarterback. He walked up to us, his smile looked genuine not like the ones guys normally wear around while mocking at me.

I wanted to inquire why they had called me before I could phrase my question. Mrs Rosewood announced"you must have been wondering why you have been summoned. As you all know the Winfred high is taken over by a big organisation in New York. The managing director of school now decided to close this school down. But he has given one chance to prove our school is worthy. And the only chance is a party they are throwing next month and has invited two students to represent the school. You both have been selected for it, you have to uphold the pride of the organisation. "
Confusion stabbed me, why me. I am not smart or brainy .Why did they choose me?
"why me? "I muttered.
"Consider yourself lucky Miss Elena, if you can impress the director you are entailed to a scholarship and don't forget our school's existence solely depends on you both. "
I felt like a weight upon my shoulder ,something so important entrusted to me. I felt heavy, but this is my only grip for life.I must grab it, Mommy and daddy, I needn't die anymore I told myself....
Mike stood there beaming at me. Mom would be happy I know.There is no greater joy than to witness a streak of gaiety on her tired face. My school fees was draining them dry, a scholarship is exactly what we need.