5.

Zack

I don't know what I came down to, but all I know was this man was being accused of raping my mum. When my mum saw me and Sariyah at the top of the step she stormed off.

"You raped my mum?" I said and next thing you know I've seen red and gone for him. I didn't get far as my dad and uncle stopped me from going for him.

"Zack!!" My grandma said disappointedly.

"Did he or did he not rape my mum? If so why are you lot holding me? Why is here here???"

"Zack just calm down! Take your cousin back upstairs."

"Are you for real? Mums walked off and you want us to go upstairs? No. I'm going to see if my mums okay."

"I'll check on her. Just go back upstairs. Both of you." My dad said.

I walked off with Sariyah right behind me.

"Do you think he actually raped her?"

"Are you calling my mum a liar?"

"No. But if it's true how could grandma and grandad bring him here? That's sick. I don't feel safe."

"Don't worry Sariyah. He won't come anywhere near you. I'll make sure of that."

What I didn't understand was why everyone seemed okay with him being here. Something wasn't right and I was going to get to the bottom of it.

***

Eddie

"Well That didn't last long did it? Knew she couldn't have no good intentions." Rose said as we all sat in the family room.

"I knew I shouldn't have come." Eric said.

"Look, Jazmine said she was here to make amends. I think we all need to make amends. Furthermore; Rachel, get everyone in here. I think it's time." I told her.

"Now? Are you sure?!"

"Yes. I want to. It needs to be said. Maybe just maybe it will have everyone come together. Well I hope so anyway. Life is way too short for all of this." I said.

"Dad? What are you on about?" Rose asked.

"Rachel... go and get Jazmine. Rose go and get Sariyah and Zack. Then I'll explain."

They did as they was told.

"I'm not going to sit in a room with him." Jazmine said with a glass in one hand and a bottle of brandy in the other.

"Jazmine..." I said at the fact she had started drinking.

"What else did you expect from her?" Rose said.

"You should really shut your mouth Rose. Because if I start talking you won't like me."

"I don't like you anyway!"

"Bitch!"

"Okay okay! Wasn't the opposite of what's happening now meant to be happening this weekend?!" Sanchez said.

"Yeah guys we've just got here. If we can't make it through today how are we going to make it through the whole weekend?" Dwight added.

"Well I say we all go home..." Rose said.

"You go home. I'm sure we will all have a great time without you. Oh and take the rapist with you." Jazmine said.

"ENOUGH!!" I bellowed.

Everyone looked at me.

"For once... can you lot just stop! Jaz... I think this was a good idea. I'm even honoured you want to spend your fortieth with us. It's no secret we haven't got the best relationship but you said you want to make amends. I'm here for that too. I think everyone needs to talk about everything; get it all out. So come Sunday we can enjoy Jazmines birthday with no animosity."

"Pfft." Rose said.

"Rose... as the oldest out of you two you could at least to try and act like the mature one. I don't see you making these attempts." I said.

Rose stayed silent at what I said.

"Anyway... the reason I wanted you all here is because... well as you all know I have had cancer scares, I've been diagnosed with cancer and I've beaten cancer numerous times. However; this time... I wasn't so lucky. Chemo never worked and it spread. It's spreading fast and viciously. I haven't known when the right time is to tell you. But with Jas planning this I thought to get this out of the way first, sort out our issues and end her birthday and this weekend on a high. So... well here it goes... the cancer is terminal... they aren't giving me a time but I'll be lucky to make it to Christmas..."

"This is some bullishit." Jazmine said.

"Jazmine!"

"We have money. They can do something!" Jazmine added.

"Never thought I would be agreeing with her but she's right. We can go private, abroad! Don't give up dad. Please." Rose said.

"I've known for a while girls. I've gotten used to it, your mum is getting there... now it's time for you guys to take it in and accept it for what it is."

"NO!!" Jazmine said as tears fell down her face.

"Jazmine... don't cry baby."

"It's not fair! Why do you have to die and yet people like ERIC get to live?"

"JAZMINE!!"

"FOR GOD SAKE WOMAN STOP CALLING MY NAME!! THIS IS ALL YOU!! ALWAYS KEEPING SECRETS MOTHER!!"

"DONT YOU DARE BLAME ME!! DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD THIS IS FOR ME?! WATCHING THE MAN I LOVE, THE MAN I HAVE ONLY EVER BEEN WITH DETERIORATE IN FRONT OF ME?! NO!! YOU DONT!! BECAUSE YOU ALL ARE TOO WRAPPED UP IN YOUR OWN SHIT TO COME AND VISIT US!!"

"I can't do this..." Rose said and ran off.

"I stand by what I said. It shouldn't be you that's terminal... it should be him." Jazmine said as she walked off.

"This wasn't meant to go like this..." I said as I felt even more deflated.

"Come on Eddie... we will deal with this all tomorrow. For now, it's late. Let's go get some rest." Rachel said to me.

I nodded. I hoped tomorrow would be a better day.

********************