34.

Six Months Later.

Detective Colins

"You okay boss? Heard you asked for me." Lance said as he entered my office.

"So I was going through some paperwork and some of them was muddled up. Do you remember that case six months ago? The family at the mansion? Erm... Jazmine Thompson found dead, turned out to be the mum and sister?"

"Oh yeah yeah I remember."

"You see in the paper that the mother wants to reopen the case? Well that's what her lawyer is trying to make happen. I'm also friends with one of the guards in the female prison where the sister is, apparently she's tried to take her life a few times."

"Maybe she can't live with the guilt."

"Mmmm..." I said as I played with my hair.

Lance sighed.

"What is it?"

"Something isn't right."

"What isn't?"

"I don't know."

"Boss... this was six months ago. You solved the case and the murderers have been put away."

"Have they?"

"Yeah... was you not there when we arrested them?"

"Yes."

"So what... Boss what seems to be the problem?"

I got up off my chair and paced the floor.

"They had motive, I had evidence that proved to me they did it. They lied about things which they got caught out on. But why do I feel that's not enough...?"

"Not enough?"

"Yes Lance! I just have this feeling. Did I arrest the wrong people?"

"Boss... what are you on about? You don't arrest the wrong people. When's the last time you had a good nights kip?"

"Kip? Why are we talking about sleep?"

"Because lack of sleep is what's got you overthinking. You have been working on this drug bust which you done successfully and now for some reason you're bringing up this old case which I'm pretty sure you said was an open and shut case."

"Yes I know but whenever I have a gut feeling it's for a reason. I just don't want to find out years later I arrested the wrong people."

"You won't. Trust me. You've done a great job. Give yourself the credit you deserve. Come for a pint and make sure you get a good nights sleep detective." Lance insisted.

Maybe Lance was right. After that case, I've spent the last six months on this drug bust. I was undercover and didn't sleep much. I think it's because I saw the paper and heard about the sister committing suicide. It's not things people do when they are not innocent. Maybe I was just tired as to why I wasn't satisfied with the result. I mean I've been doing this for a long time and I've never arrested the wrong person let alone people. Besides, if it wasn't them then who else could it be?

*******************