One

The door swung open and Wesley shuffled in with a tray in his hands. The door clicked when it shut behind him.

She had observed his routine. After ten years she knew every move he would make. The doctor was getting older and he would soon be unable to defend himself if something did happen.

A scream of pain echoed through the hall outside. No doubt more experiments that caused discomfort and pain. The doctor knew when to push his hostages and when to let them breath. He was a civil minded man with a warped perception of reality.

"We need to get you hooked up to the chair. Hop up here, now." He starred down at her, "Come on, you know I can't lift you. My back isn't what it used to be." He sighed and rang a bell that alerted his guards that he needed them.

If she could detach the wires from the bell, the sound wouldn't carry and he would be helpless. She would have to run when he entered, before the door closed and locked. Unless she took his keys.

"Put her up on the gurney please," he instructed the two men who ran into the room. "I'll have to adjust your dosage, Jojo. Maybe you're numb but I need you to do as I ask. You know what happens when you don't."

She cringed. She knew very well. Her punishments had escalated over the years. It cultivated her hatred for him. It clarified her thoughts and made her see that she needed to get out.