Eleven

The sound of movement scared Johanna. She had to get out of the house.

The backdoor that she entered through. She crawled into the dining room. A light in the hall, where she just was, flicked on. She held her breath to listen.

"I had hoped to get home sooner but I was stuck with Greg Larrabee." There was a pause, a breathy laugh. "Yeah, I know. He kept yammering on about the books and I just wanted to come home."

Johanna shuffled closer to the kitchen door.

"He doesn't live in this area. He doesn't have to worry about some crazy woman breaking into his house, I guess." She laughed, "Alright, I'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a good night." The cellphone clicked when it hit the table in the living room.

Johanna was so close to the exit. The light in the kitchen came on. She froze. On her hands and knees in the middle of the floor.

The woman rounded the counter and screamed.

Johanna winced and put her head down.

"What the hell are you doing in my kitchen?" The woman ran to the living room and came back with her phone. "I'm going to call the police."

"P-please, help m-me."

The woman put her phone on the counter and kneeled close to the disheveled stranger laying on her kitchen floor.

"Fairview. Please."

The woman stood and paced her kitchen.

Johanna laid perfectly still. She didn't have the energy to move. She didn't want to scare her unknowing host. It was safer to stay put.

"I'll help you."