Four

It had been twenty-four years and two months since Dianne opened her door to the Fairview police chief.

"There was an incident today. Travis was handling a robbery at a convenience store. He was shot in the stomach." He presented her with her late husband's badge. "He did not survive."

Her jaw went slack. She saw everything in slow motion. Her heart beat was so hard it shook her rib cage. She always knew this could happen. There was no amount of preparation that would make this easier. Her tears were static, but the acidic burn lingered within her lower eyelids. The corrosive sensation spread through her cheeks to her neck.

"Please let's go inside and have a seat." He turned her around and stepped into the house. He assisted her to the couch, "He was a brave officer who will be missed dearly."

"Mum mum mum!" Marcus called from his crib.

The chief grimaced.

The sound of her son's voice made her feel like her skull was caving in. How would she raise him by herself, without her partner?

And nine years and five months since she was told that her son, Marcus, had passed away. It was a struggle for her to let go of her previous live's.

She would always wish that Travis or Marcus would show up at the front door one day. She played different scenarios in her mind. Travis went undercover or was placed in witness protection. Marcus was harder to explain away.

She would never question Wesley's methods or his loyalty. He told her and her husband, Raymond, that she could see his body to confirm his identity. Ray drove the two down to the morgue.

"We're here to identify the remains of our son, Marcus Stevens." Ray announced. He held Dianne's shoulders to keep her standing.

The person behind the desk looked up with an emotionless expression, "That young man was sent to the crematorium."

Dianne shuddered at the horrible memories and took a deep breath.

She grabbed the tray of drinks off the kitchen counter and brought them to the poolside. She placed them on the picnic table and grabbed a glass for herself. She sat back in a lounge chair to let the sun heat up the skin that wasn't covered with clothing.

"Kids, there is iced tea if you are thirsty." She called out to her grandchildren who were splashing and laughing in the pool. A humid afternoon like this would have been unbearable if not for the pool.

She fanned herself with a magazine and watched the children jump off the diving board.

"I thought I saw you out here." Ray ran his hand along her exposed shoulders. He leaned down and kissed her cheek, "It looks like the kids are enjoying themselves." He grabbed a drink and sat in the chair next to his wife.

"The boys said they would be here around four to pick them up." She covered her eyes from the sun.

The splashing stopped. The children's laughter died out. There was silence.