Chapter 5

A Q U A R I U S

My mate held me in his arms, tight and safely

My mate held me in his arms, tight and safely. He made growling sounds at Kyle who backed down when he saw my mate.

"Mine!"

My mate declared barbarically.

Was this how humans still acted?

Kyle's eyes grew wide and a sneer was brought upon his face. He seemed upset my mate was declaring I belonged to him now.

"Alpha! You can't be serious, look at what he did to Liam!"

He said as he pointed to the creature, laying on the ground. I felt bad for it, but it attacked me! I was going to become dinner for it otherwise!

It would probably die before the poison wore off, hunger and thirst killing it if no other predator got to it before that.

My mate stiffened at what Kyle was pointing to, causing my heart to drop.

Did he side with him? Was he going to reject me now that he saw that?

Water filled my eyes at the thought.

I had left my tribe for him! Wandering almost 90 miles for him! I would die of a broken heart heading home!

A small whimper built up in my throat as I started to sniffle. Runny noses were also new to me in this form. I hated it.

I was about to look down, but Liam caught my attention. He was shaking. I stared at the beast; whose name was Liam on confusion. Venom never affected animals like that, maybe this was because he was a land animal and not a sea creature?

A crack rung out in the silent and heavy air causing Kyle's head to whip around to look at his creature. Its body shook and twisted, causing my stomach to do the same. I watched as hair retracted back into its body and bones twisted in sharp loud angles.

My mate tried to move me, but I struggled, falling out of his arms. Kyle ran to whatever that thing was and kneeled by its side, petting it.

It seemed like forever as I watched this hairy beast turn into a.... human?

It was a small male. He had straight blonde hair and small delicate features. His eyes were still open from when I paralyzed him, but he was too far away for me to see the color.

He laid nude on the ground, unmoving. It was silent. No one moved or spoke as I stared at the.... thing on the ground.

Were all these.... humans' vicious predators?!

I looked around in fear and saw most people were already staring at me. They were looking at me with a mix of fear, concern, and some, anger.

Were they angry at me for what I did to Liam?

Would they kill me because of it?

I started to shake in fear and felt a panic attack coming. I needed to get back in water!

I was injured and in unfamiliar territory. My mate was here but I did not know what to think, what if he was mad at me too! What if he agreed with them and let them attack me!

I felt his presence come closer from behind me and I whimpered.
I could not live rejection. If the gods cursed me to live over 500 years just to be rejected, I would stop my faith. What cruel act did I do in my past life to deserve that?!

I hesitated to lift my head and look at my mate, but when I did it was all worth it. He was gorgeous. He was tanned, making me look like pale milk. He had straight pitch-black hair, blue eyes, plump lips, and stubble that covered his jaw and upper lip that just made him more masculine.

He was mine....

A goofy smiled would have been across my face if it were not for the fact, I was so scared.

Maybe they will let me go back to the ocean, and I can come back when this is all cooled down and I can walk.

Yeah! That is what I will do, and I will bring back treatment for the Liam guy or beast as a peace offering. I will spend a day making the treatment, a day learning to walk, and then I will find my way back here!

As I formulated this idea in my head, I did not realize my mate grinning at me, making me snap out of my haze.

I looked up at my mate and was about to say something when Kyle beat me to it.

"Alpha!"

He said in an accusing and angry tone. This snapped my mate out of his staring contest causing him to frown and cause disappointment for me.

"What did you do to Liam?"

My mate asked me with a frown, causing a sinking feeling in my heart.

I could not tell him what I was until we mated. It was law for no humans to ever find out about merfolk. If humans found out, they could trace back to our tribes and harm them. It has happened before.

I shook my head at him.

"Please.... let me go home..."

I said, my eyes getting watery again. I felt the water leak down my cheeks as the feeling of being overwhelmed hit me.

My mate frowned at me and I could see the sorrow in his eyes. He reached a hand towards me and I flinched, thinking he was going to do something. He stopped short with an even deeper frown.

We sat in heavy silence until a man came racing out of the human home.

"What are you all doing just sitting there! Bring Liam to my office, and the other one!"

The tall skinny man said, pointing at me. Kyle glared at me but picked Liam up, following the man.

My mate bent down and picked me up, a comfortable sigh leaving my lips.

I was in for a world of trouble.

EDITED 11/11/20