•3•

When the staff had finished polishing and preparing for the celebratory event Eden was pulled aside by Beatrice

She pulled her into a large restroom and handed her a glittering mass of fabric.

"What is this?"

"Your new uniform."

Eden's brow furrowed as she examined the beautifully crafted dress Beatrice had given her.

"Malcolm Ílios assigns a few of the staff to dress as guests."

"Why?"

"To see if people are enjoying the party and sometimes to pick up information he can't gain on his own."

"So we're spies."

Beatrice smirked.

"In a way," she winked.

"What am I even supposed to do?"

"Enjoy yourself," Beatrice shrugged as she began to strip out of her gray A-line dress.

"One thing you need to learn,

Eden is that even though your position is technically called a maid, Alpha Ílios has a strange tendency to assign his staff members with untraditional tasks."

Beatrice slipped off her black tights and promptly slipped into the short strapless green dress.

"Beatrice, I'm not good at socializing. I'd much rather work as a traditional server tonight."

Beatrice walked over to the elaborate golden framed mirror and began to fuss with her hair.

"Call me, Bea," she replied, applying a coat of ruby red lipstick to her lips.

"There's no changing your job now. Candice chose you to be Malcolm's escort for the night."

Eden felt as if she were going to be ill.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"Escort. Like his date."

"You're telling me a man like him is paying someone like me to be his date?"

Bea closed her lipstick tube and rolled her eyes.

"Don't flatter yourself, alpha Ílios always has one of his staff members as his escorts."

"What why?"

Eden was beyond bewildered at this entire situation that had become her job.

"You have to have a date to come to these kind of parties, and in the past when Malcolm chose a daughter of a prime minister of something as his date well...."

Eden crossed her arms over her chest impatiently.

"They tend to get a bit attached to him, if you catch my meaning."